N-Europe

Re-sizing in Photoshop CS2 - a question

Space

Basically what I am doing is taking a 1024x768 snapshot of my screen, and then shrinking the image down (keeping aspect ratio) to around 200 pixels wide. The problem is that when I do this Photoshop feathers the edge of the image so that I get a faint border around the edge. In Macromedia Fireworks this doesn't happen.

How do you turn off feathering when doing a bicubic resize?

Least it isn't just me who can't figure it out.

The feathering is definitely set to zero, but that is on the marquee tool anyway so probably doesn't relate to the re-size option.

It's quite an annoying problem at the moment as it means I have to do all my image re-sizing in Fireworks.

Agreed with revpwns there o_O. Select the layer you want to resize and hit ctrl+t, using the bar at the top of the screen enter a percentage (you want around 20 by the sound of things).

If you can resize the whole image, not just a layer, hit image > resize and enter 200px width checking to keep proportionate.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Agreed with revpwns there o_O. Select the layer you want to resize and hit ctrl+t, using the bar at the top of the screen enter a percentage (you want around 20 by the sound of things).

I thought this would do the trick as I hadn't used it before, but unfortunately not.

If you can resize the whole image, not just a layer, hit image > resize and enter 200px width checking to keep proportionate.

This is what I've been using for a while now and it causes the border.

Here's an example, against a transparent background to make it easier to see:

2005-10-03-01-sillyadobe.gif

As you can see the image has been anti-aliased. In nearest-neighbour mode this doesn't happen but the re-size quality is rubbish as there is no bluring.

This is such an annoying problem. At the moment I'm having to crop the border off each time.