N-Europe

EA's young Discusses Nintendo Revolution Development

DiemetriX

Whoa calm down, DCK talked about cel shading, because it's a way to make games look good without a lot of details, thus not pushing the hardware.

edit: I play Battle for Middle Earth 2 just fine with 800*600 (dont have a monitor that does justice to my pc... yet).

challenge_nothing.jpg

EA has some AAA titles aswell. Battle for Middle Earth 2, Battlefield 2 are really great games (I know they are developed by other studios) and not every EA game is "crap".

I understand his point of view and I believe it is a very valid one because 2/3 of the next-gen consoles support HD resolution and those combined are a much bigger market. I personally can forgive the lack of HD and I am quite sure the rule is that most gamers don't have a HD TV set yet. Concerning developing costs I don't think that HD needs more time, money, whatever because it is just a higher resolution. More money is needed to port a game from HD to SD and in that case the Revolution has a slight disadvantage. More power means that developers don't have to worry to make a decent looking game because they don't need the extra time to really get every last advantage out of the hardware.

Hang on. Don't they need to make the whole gam for SD anyway for those people who don't have HDTV?

Oh and by the way, about HD not taking any longer to develop. I think you are wrong. Every single mistake is far more obvious, especially in the case of textures. Texture distortion and displacement will become ever more obvious in HD, not to mention you are looking at having to make all of the textures at probably 5 times the size. That's gonna take some big extra time.

If you play at 800 x 600 you have 480000 pixels on your screen. With NTSC(SDTV: 720 x 480, no interlacing to have a comparable picture) you have "only" 345600 pixels. That is only 70% of the pixels you have on your computer monitor but since you normally sit in front of it you won't notice it. But if you sit 2m away from your TV set and have "only" 70% of the pixels like you have at 800 x 600 on a computer screen I am sure you will see the problem. To be honest I don't own a HD TV set and will not buy one unless im done with university and own mucho $$$ but the resolution is an important factor. Also I claim that most people who own a TV have one that is bigger than 15" and in that case you see the pixels better - to avoid that you sit farther away.

I admit I am a Nintendo fanboy but on the same side I try not being ignorant about other consoles. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft do good and bad things and in the end everyone has to pick a favourite.

You can downscale a picture from HDTV to SDTV and this does not take a wizard to acomplish - the difficulty is to maintain the same level of gameplay on every console.