NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ramar

Scan Disk Problem

For about a week now, upon start up my computer insists on scanning the D partition on my hard drive, the first few times I just let it get on with it and hoped it would stop. But as you can probably gather it hasn't, any ideas on how to stop it?

Still doing it. I haven't tried a de-frag but I did do a disk clean up. Any other ideas.

come on smart computer people this dude needs some help :P

my only other suggestion wud be to back up your important stuff and reformat le hard-disk.

but there could be a simpler solution.. id wait and see if offers or anybody clever knows the answer.

I'm only a chick after all what do i know :P

edit: was talking to my dad (techno whizz) and he said hes had that before and a defrag fixed it so id try that if you havent already

What version of Windows are you running ? Have you run a full surface scan on your drive ?

What is on that partition, anything worth saving ?

I dunno, try running chkdsk yourself.

start>run>cmd [enter]

chkdsk /r

(or chkdsk DRIVE: /r if it's not the drive you're already on)

If it asks you to unmount the volume then say yeah, say yeah if it wants to reboot, then it should run a full surface scan and hopefully unset the dirty bit on that drive.

It might take ages though, depending on how large your drive is, so set it to run before you go to bed or while you're out.

Report back after, comrade.

Its only a 5Gb partition, its only got World of Warcraft on it. I'll give that a try tomorrow RoadKill and I'll let you know how it goes.

I dunno, try running chkdsk yourself.

start>run>cmd [enter]

chkdsk /r

(or chkdsk DRIVE: /r if it's not the drive you're already on)

If it asks you to unmount the volume then say yeah, say yeah if it wants to reboot, then it should run a full surface scan and hopefully unset the dirty bit on that drive.

It might take ages though, depending on how large your drive is, so set it to run before you go to bed or while you're out.

Report back after, comrade.

Thats not going to work if he is running Windows 9x/ME.

Its XP don't worry.

Edit - Done the chkdsk D:/r this morning and it appears to have worked. I restarted and it didn't do a Scan Disk. Thank you very much RoadKill. :D

Sign in to follow this