NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tom

Working abroad

as some of you may know I have decided to leave uni at the end of this year, rather than finish my course. I will instead be taking a course at the open university and will transfer my credit to that.

because of the credit transfer procedure i cant start my new course untill the academic year 07/08, rather than this september.

this gives me 12 months with no cast iron commitments, except i must be earning during that time. I will need a place to live, and going home isnt really an option. I have had a very hard last couple of months, and really want to get away from birmingham for a while, and go to some wilderness/forest/jungle. basically anywhere with natural beauty. those of you familiar with birmingham will understand why ;)

a friend suggested that working a abroad for a while would be a good plan, and i agree with her, but i'm not sure how to go about finding a 6 month paid job abroad. i am going to see if any tour operators need guides or something.

any other suggestions would be great, some of you here must have either done the same thing or know someone who has.

What about working at a Summer Camp in America somewhere-you get paid and get a roof over your head as well.

I looked into moving to Canada last year to go to uni. It worked out too expensive for the course I wanted and I needed a work permit if I wanted to work anywhere. It's a lot of hassle, you'l need to look into it deeply if you're seriously thinking about it.

[quote=Tombasically anywhere with natural beauty. those of you familiar with birmingham will understand why ;)

What do you mean, theres that park thing somewhere, and the fountain, what more could you want?

Anyway I'd suggest you check out google for website advice (http://www.gapyeardirectory.co.uk/) , or a book. My friend's mom wrote this particular one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0856608505/qid=1142936920/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_0_6/202-5452261-0591067 and I think she works at Brum uni as an carrer advisor or something.

My friend spent six months in New Zealand and as far as I'm aware she just went over there and got a bar job. My friend's brother is planning to do the same in Aus for a year.

Im with Ashley, theres nowt wrong with Birmingham! You want trees? Go to sutton park! Birmingham city center has everything you need, its great.

An od friend of mine went to the US to work last summer on a programme the University set up. Just worked in a restaurant and lived somewhere. Had a great time apparently. Changed him alot, hence why i said 'old' friend :P But at least he enjoyed himself.

Im with Ashley, theres nowt wrong with Birmingham! You want trees? Go to sutton park! Birmingham city center has everything you need, its great.

Too bad about the weather.

nah, its not really a dig about birmingham, as cities go its fantastic, i just really want to get away from it all for a while as its been very difficult recently.

ill go see the careers advisor at uni. and get her to sign of copy of her book ;)

nah, its not really a dig about birmingham, as cities go its fantastic, i just really want to get away from it all for a while as its been very difficult recently.

ill go see the careers advisor at uni. and get her to sign of copy of her book ;)

Tell me if it is Mrs Flynn, as I'll be seeing her daughter soon, would be a crazy connection (but don't mention random people on the internet are talking about her ;))

Sign in to follow this