NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Babooo

Wireless Networking in my house

Hey people, I need your help. I don't know too much about setting up a wireless network at home for my family so that's why i'm turning to YOU to help me out.

Basically the situation is this: I have one PC (desktop with broadband) in my house, shared by all the family. Pretty crappy I know, thus why we are either getting a laptop or another desktop so that we can all do our work, instead of waiting for brother/sister to finish.

SO, cos my dad has an unused desktop in his office, we might be bringing that in to the house, so I am thinkin how the hell do i connect that up with my broadband? All I know is that we need a wireless router and I think, a USB dongle of some kind???? Please can you help me out, and let me know what kind of options are available.

Also, if that doesn't work out, then we might consider a laptop. Laptops are easier to connect wirelessly aren' they? Give me the power of knowledge people. :bowdown:

You'll probably have a USB modem at the moment so you'll need to buy a Wireless modem/router. You can put that next to your current PC and connect it via ethernet. Then you'll need to buy a PCI network card for the new PC. Or if it's a laptop a PCMCIA card. Make sure it's 802.11 g and no 'b'. That goes for the router as well.

Pretty much what they said, though you dont need a pci wireless card, you can use a usb dongle if you want to.

Cheers for the reply people. I really appreciate all your posts, as they've helped me out bucket loads. They really have. :)

Hopefully all will go well when i get the 2nd PC in. Thanks again peeps. : peace:

P.S Anyone reccomend me a good wireless router: cheap and reliable??

Pretty much what they said, though you dont need a pci wireless card, you can use a usb dongle if you want to.

PCI cards are much better and aren't limited to the speed of the USB port though. I would defintely go for PCI over USB, although USB are much easier to set up, you don't need to open up your computer.

I got a wireless modem/router from PC World with a PCMCIA network card for £40, it was on special offer. I'm not sure if they're still doing it or not... It's a linksys one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006374LE/ref=ord_cart_shr/026-0527715-8183601?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I have found this wireless router. Can any of you tell me if its any good or not? It looks alrite and has got good reviews from customers at Amazon.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have now bought this router but I still can't get my wireless network set up!! Please help out as I have a USB modem and this router needs an ethernet connection. Thing is, my modem does not have an ethernet port so I can't set it up.

So I guess I need a modem with USB and ethernet port. Can you reccomend me any solutions to this problem??

Sign in to follow this