NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

SaGa Emerald Beyond

Just watched the SaGa Glimmerfest 2023 stream where the Emerald Beyond release date was announced: 25th April 2024.

Here's a bit of a summary from the stream:

Were unable to show any live gameplay (which was done in the JP stream) as the localisation is ongoing. Gameplay demonstration coming in January.

1. linear, chapter based or non-linear?
- individual stories are linear, the order you explore the worlds (or don't) provides a non-linear experience to the player. The game is designed to be played multiple times; you won't experience the same things twice. The goal was to create a new kind of RPG experience.

Ichikawa relates how first time playthroughs even differ between players. Lot's of branching.

2. Multiple equips or single slot?
- most characters can equip two weapons. So rather than swap characters in and out (like in Scarlet Grace), you're more likely to change their weapons. They wanted to increase the strategic variety in combat as opposed to from combat to combat, giving increased tactical possiblities.

3. How does difficulty compare to Scarlet Grace?
- the early hours are easier to get into than past Scarlet Grace. There are still difficult bosses at the top end of things. 

4. Future of the SaGa franchise?
- want it to become a global IP that's available on all current platforms. 

Looking for an entry point? They recommend SaGa Frontier Remastered and/or Minstrel Song Remastered.

(Couldn't find a thread for this.)

• Thanks 1

I was looking at an entry point for the saga games myself yesterday as some are in the sales. Settled on either Romancing Saga 3 or Saga Frontier from Reddit posts. 

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I was looking at an entry point for the saga games myself yesterday as some are in the sales. Settled on either Romancing Saga 3 or Saga Frontier from Reddit posts. 

I have Frontier. It's different from the typical FF or DQ kind of RPG you might be expecting. Definitely recommend reading up on them as much as possible to make sure you go in with an open mind.

• Thanks 1

I ended up buying Frontier. I seem to be in a very JRPG mood at the moment so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

True to their word, they came back with a gameplay demonstration. Doesn't show a great deal, imo, and takes about 20 minutes before he actually commits to his attack. The guys passion and enthusiasm for it is infectious—he's definitely taken pride in his localisation work.

There's a demo for this available now, if anyone is interested.

Sign in to follow this