N-Europe

Dave the Diver (26th October 2023)

Julius

DAVE THE DIVER is a single-player casual adventure RPG featuring deep-sea exploration. Dive to fish during the day and manage a sushi bar at night. The gameplay loop will gradually expand, opening up players to new systems, fascinating creatures, and unexplored environments. Upgrade your gear to delve into the depths and discover what friends, foes, and surprises await in the Blue Hole.

Great get, I know those that have played it are putting it in the GOTY conversation! 

Edited by Julius

• 9 months later...

Did this not make any waves, then?

Since one of those emails came through about (more!) games from my wishlist being on sale*, I redownloaded the demo and gave it a proper play this time. Seems a very good game. When you see the fish on the loading screen you realise they're 3D models made to look 2D with the pixel-style texture mapping they went for. It makes for a pretty cool look. 

I wasn't prepared for the underwater layout to be randomised but it seems to serve it's purpose well enough. You're limited by your oxygen and the amount of weight you can carry so you can't spend hours down there collecting everything in sight. Catching fish is surprisingly violent. You get two dives (morning and afternoon) then it's off to waiting sushi prepared from what you caught in the evening.

Looks like there's plenty to do and unlock which goes a bit towards alleviating my worry it would just get boring after a while. There's already a good sense of progression in the demo alone. Pouring the green teas is the worst part—no idea how the controls are working for that.

Need to read up on it a bit to consider taking the plunge on the full game.

* Could do with pruning the wishlist as it still doesn't know to remove games when you get them. Reckon I'll unheart Hades off it when I'm at it because I don't think I'll ever get it.