NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Metaphor: ReFantazio (11th October 2024)

Okay so this one didn't leak: the long talked about Project Re:Fantasy from Studio Zero!

Atlus loves Xbox now? Or their money, at least :p

Edited by Julius

Looks neat.  Nice to see them work on something that isn't SMT/Persona related for once (though it still looks like Persona... guess they are a bit of a one-trick-pony :p).

So apparently SEGA Korea actually revealed that, unsurprisingly, this is also coming to PS4, PS5, and Steam...3 days ago! 

No surprises there, but still, no Switch again. 

Oh man they're 100% setting people up for the double dip a year after launch, huh? Or maybe they're waiting for the Switch successor to be announced to pop it on there exclusively...

On 6/12/2023 at 5:18 PM, Dcubed said:

Looks neat.  Nice to see them work on something that isn't SMT/Persona related for once (though it still looks like Persona... guess they are a bit of a one-trick-pony :p).

Honestly, when the trailer started I was like "uh, is this an SMT continuation?" because it looked way more SMT than it did Project Re:Fantasy or Persona for me :laughing:

Which, honestly, is a bit of a shame! I thought the concept art looked great from when Re:Fantasy was announced waaaaaaaaaay back when, would've loved a more pure medieval RPG rather than, well, the modern twist that we seem to get everything with Atlus these days, but ::shrug:

4062411.jpg

Developer interview with Hashino, Meguro and Soejima:

Going to shamelessly steal the key points from elsewhere:

• Coming to PS5/PS4 and Steam in addition to Series X/S and Windows Store.
• Simultaneous worldwide launch in 2024.
• Currently in the polishing stage according to Meguro.
• Language of the game's world is in Esperanto, ReFantazio part of the title and song lyrics are also derived from it.
• "Their fantasy, their utopia, was our reality" is the slogan on the key art and website.
• Calling ReFantazio fantasy won't be doing it justice.
• Game is centered around travelling the world in an armored tank to gather supporters for an election to become king as the previous king and his son have died. • As you go through the game, you make bonds with the citizenry and perform favors to get them on your side.
• Multiple races.
• Archetypes derived from Jung theory just like Personas, but they aren't just simply Personas this time around. Way more than that. Deeper meaning of changing yourself (alluding to the transformations in the trailer).
• Aspects of the game will reflect the real world, that's the main idea behind the title Metaphor. This main theme informs everything, from the characters, the stories, to even the final climax.
• Game originally had a more western medieval look but they wanted to give it a unique twist. They looked at the modern world and wondered what they could bring to make it more unique (i.e maybe some fashion trends in the 60s that could blend well with a more fantastical world).
• Key concept explored in Metaphor is "facing your fears" (anxiety of interacting with other people for example) whereas Persona is about "facing your inner self".
• Game's art style is meant to look like a painting with a little bit of darkness. Core reason is because they wanted to capture the fantastical nature of this world.
• Being positioned as the third pillar of Atlus alongside Persona and SMT.
• Atlus focused on modern stories in their games because they felt fantasy RPGs were too common.
• Soejima feels Atlus' creative identity has been cemented with the Persona series, that it was a core part of why people enjoyed those games and that they want to live up to those expectations with Metaphor.
• Meguro says Metaphor was a chance to make music he's never made before.
• Core concept of the scoring is music used in religion according to Meguro. How that'll work in an RPG, and how they can give it a unique twist. A spiritual music style that also evokes a classical fantasy feel. They hired a Buddhist to rap in Esperanto for the trailer BGM for example.
• Fairy's name in the key art is Gallica, Soejima gave her a more modern design. Working on her informed him on how to design the rest of the characters. Didn't want to be beholden to existing design conventions in the fantasy genre.

Okay, travelling the world in a tank to gain supporters to become King sounds fairly insane. I'm so in. Just please don't come out in a busy period! 

Also, this being a simultaneous worldwide release - something SEGA and Atlus have been building towards and then doing pretty consistently over the last few years - gives me hope that Persona 6, when it does eventually drop in 2035 after they're done with Persona 5 spin-offs (I read the other day that Persona 5 as a series accounts for more than 50% of the Persona franchise's sales!), will drop everywhere all at once, rather than needing to wait over six months, as was the case with Personal 5. 

Edited by Julius

Fall 2024 it is, folks:

I've only played Persona 5, but I've listened to quite a few of his other soundtracks – is this the first time we're hearing Meguro take on an entire game with epic orchestral music? Because it sounds awesome! 

This is pretty huge for the channel involved and super interesting for Atlus to provide such access I feel, but Archipel have just announced that they'll be putting out a documentary on the game:

For those who haven't heard of them, Archipel is an awesome channel focusing on Japanese artists and storytellers across all mediums.

Particular highlights for me from a gaming POV are their interview with Yoshi-P on XIV, Yoshitaka Amano, talking to Akira Yasuda about Chun-Li and there are a slew of others well worth checking out too (Soejima and Hashino for Persona 5, Yoko Taro, Mikami, Nagoshi!). 

Super excited to see how this turns out :D

• Like 1

So, this game had turned up in the Top 40 Most Played list for Xbox in Japan...

OPL7jiD.jpeg

IAjFglN.jpeg

...leading some to believe that testing for the game is underway (and not hidden, for whatever reason?). If that is the case (and I can't think of any other reason it'd be turning up on a list like this), I can't help but chuckle at it turning up in the Top 40 - certainly speaks to how Xbox is doing over there :p

• Like 1

Stream with the latest updates dropping next Monday (22nd April) at 23:00 BST. 

The United Kingdom ... beckons you forth once more.

UK inclusion confirmed?!?!?!?!?!

Is this game the ultimate British Empire power fantasy?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Will there be tea and colonies?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 

Will the Queen somehow return?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

(okay but seriously a joke in this game about the difference between the United Kingdom vs Great Britain would be great)

October 11th! Confirmed during the livestream:

As someone who has fallen behind on the slate of newly released RPGs already this year...

baymax-oh-no-fmpyygx8nbr1twqb.webp

(please be a relatively quiet summer pleaseeeeee)

• Haha 1

Trailer from tonight's event:

Demo dropping in June, probably an Xbox Games Showcase shadow drop? Still so funny to me how they've got their name all over this game to the extent that they have, such as having them as the only console in the title for the above trailer:

Metaphor: ReFantazio The King's Trial | Xbox Series X|S, Windows PC

Box art is a bit busy, very art school-y with how it utilises the title I feel, but idk, I kind of like it? The top part especially. 

PRF_PACKSHOT_PS5_US_Final_Flat_v01_1524x

Think I'm going to need to spend this summer making sure I'm caught up on JRPGs ahead of this launching in October :D

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this