NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nuntendo

Fallout Newb : New Vegas help/discussion

I am pretty much completely new to the Fallout series as I have never really played past 30 minutes of Fallout 3. Never played anything before Fallout 3 and never played New Vegas.

I have been playing Fallout 4 but my boyfriend is playing that now:p So, I have, a few moments ago, bought New Vegas online and I was just wondering if you guys could help me obsess over this a bit.

I was just wondering what decisions I get to make when creating my characters? I know vaugely that there is more to it than there is in Fallout 4 but I cant really seem to find anything which is very clear on it.

Also, is it true that you cant join any factions?

I almost didnt buy this game because, upon investigating the Legion, my excitement took a downturn when I realised they are basically just the generic bad guys (booring - I mean, at least give the Legion some good points like they could have been pro-homosexuality and womens rights while the NCR could be made out to be anti-them, for example). But i've decided to buy it anyway and I'll probably end up joining in with the Legion as I think I want to go for a mainly melee based build.

I think the Legion were meant to be more ambiguously evil, but they had to cut all of that to finish the game in eighteen months.

New Vegas is the best of the 3D Fallouts and is miles better than Fallout 4, so your boyfriend has done you a huge favor. Although you really should play the first two games. They're RPG perfection.

I think the Legion were meant to be more ambiguously evil, but they had to cut all of that to finish the game in eighteen months.

What a shame :( Hopefully it isnt as bad as I fear once I get in game.

New Vegas is the best of the 3D Fallouts and is miles better than Fallout 4, so your boyfriend has done you a huge favor.

Haha :p

Yeah, I've heard good things. Its more tradintionally RPG than 3 and 4 I hear.

I'm hoping for an immersive world and story more than anything.

Although you really should play the first two games. They're RPG perfection.

I did actually look in to that but the graphics just put me off. I dont mind older graphics I just prefer them to be a bit more cartoony, if not just a bit more colourful, than that.

Also, I'm always wary of people telling me how amazing older games are as the nostalgia element tends to be a big factor more often than not.

What makes the older Fallout games so good? Is 1 better or 2?

This is what I was thinking for my New Vegas character, by the way:

Hn3a10k.png

AjTqmOQ.png

MJEhIq3.png

What do you guys think?

I feel like I may have neglected luck because in Fallout 4 luck seems pretty terrible... is it the same in New Vegas or should I put a few points on luck?

I did actually look in to that but the graphics just put me off. I dont mind older graphics I just prefer them to be a bit more cartoony, if not just a bit more colourful, than that.

If you want a colorful game with good graphics, I don't know what you're doing playing Fallout: New Vegas. :wink:

All of the dialogue in Fallout 2 changes if you play as a stupid character. You don't get that kind of freedom in the 3D games, but New Vegas is definitely closer to the classic games in that regard than Bethesda's efforts.

I actually didn't play the original Fallout games until 2008, so I don't know how much nostalgia is involved. Although I guess it has been eight years at this point... Shrug-smiley_zpslsc9agrs.gif

If you want a colorful game with good graphics, I don't know what you're doing playing Fallout: New Vegas. :wink:

All of the dialogue in Fallout 2 changes if you play as a stupid character. You don't get that kind of freedom in the 3D games, but New Vegas is definitely closer to the classic games in that regard than Bethesda's efforts.

I actually didn't play the original Fallout games until 2008, so I don't know how much nostalgia is involved. Although I guess it has been eight years at this point... Shrug-smiley_zpslsc9agrs.gif

Fair enough :p

Actually maybe I'll watch through some Lets Plays or reviews and then decide. Would you reccommend Fallout 1 or Fallout 2?

EDIT: K, so I have just discovered the Wild Wasteland trait (didnt see it before as I didnt realise you could scroll down!). Is it a fun thing to have or does it break immersion? I may only end up playing this game through once and I want it to be a good one. Is Wild Wasteland worth it?

Also, which other trait should I swap it with if I do go for it? Heavy Handed or Hot Blooded? (Click link here for details)

Edited by Nuntendo
Automerged Doublepost "or reviews"

Actually maybe I'll watch through some Lets Plays or reviews and then decide. Would you reccommend Fallout 1 or Fallout 2?

Both are worth playing.

I personally thought Wild Wasteland was a bit of a waste, because most of the fifteen encounters it added were references I didn't even get, but your mileage may vary. :heh:

I absolutely loved the game... Then it lagged... and lagged... and lagged.

I read the reviews saying that it would do this (for the PS3) but I didnt believe them. I have never experienced anything like it on any Playstation platform. What a piece of shit. Genuinely unplayable.

What a shame.

Sign in to follow this