N-Europe

Etrian Odyssey 2 Remake tease

darksnowman

BqzM-yOCUAEVOqx.jpg:large

Exhibit A: The above image cropped up on the Atlus Twitter feed.

Exhibit B: Then, the following url is found if you are beady eyed enough to spot broccoli on the Persona Q site.

http://sq-atlus.jp/

Exhibit C: Said link leads to a site designed in the Etrian Odyssey website style. It has the world tree. What more can you want? Oh okay not conclusive enough. Well, if you click the up arrow (and remember the you climb up the dungeon in EO II rather than plumb its depths!) you will get the message: 2DX Coming Soon.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Deluxe...?

Granted, Etrian Odyssey is a very new series it seems strange that its getting remakes already but hey, we only got EO I in Europe, not II or III, so if the remakes actually come our way - and why wouldn't they atleast via the eShop - then there's nothing to complain about.

I'll have some of that.

Etrian Odyssey II is the one with the best individual special moves (instead of Boost or Limit). The post-game boss is not too frustrating either.

I never expected EO games to come so thick and fast so I always thought I'd get round to EO 2 someday. It's the only one in the series I am yet to play - never came across a cheap import. I've read heaps about it over the years and am kind of put off by the idea of FOEs giving no exp. However, I was reading fresh comments about it earlier and someone said that this actually makes the FOEs more terrifying because aside from the drops, there is no benefit to you engaging with them... so panic and avoid is the order of the day.

I never expected EO games to come so thick and fast so I always thought I'd get round to EO 2 someday. It's the only one in the series I am yet to play - never came across a cheap import. I've read heaps about it over the years and am kind of put off by the idea of FOEs giving no exp. However, I was reading fresh comments about it earlier and someone said that this actually makes the FOEs more terrifying because aside from the drops, there is no benefit to you engaging with them... so panic and avoid is the order of the day.

EO III is the one I haven't completed (but have started), so I'm not sure whether I'd play a remake of that or complete the original. Probably both.

EO II is a strange game. The difficulty curve over the first two Strata is like a cliff. Strata 3-5 are like playing normally, then of course Stratum 6 is rock hard as usual. I'd guess a remake would fix the "no EXP from FOEs" thing, plus the "EXP from Quests" mechanic from EO III onwards would probably be introduced.

But yes, it seems like Atlus (or Sega?) is trying to get this series a firmer foothold. I'm glad the 3DS iterations have all had physical releases, as it gives them more chance of success (I looked up Conception II on the eShop, but it's currently £31.99 - to me, that's too expensive for something I can't resell).

EO IV seems to have been much more successful than I expected. I've got loads of StreetPasses for it (30-50, that kind of figure) and get a few every time I go out. EO Untold doesn't seem to have been as successful, unfortunately, as I only have one genuine StreetPass for it. I don't know what the experience of others on here has been?

What's interesting is that EO Untold makes explicit how many Yggdrasil trees were planted; thus how many games in the series we might expect.