NEurope
canand

Nintendo Next Gen Handheld

Moving away from the seemingly never ending debate about technical specification, what are the hopes in regards to the firmware and general usability?

I think the user interface is pretty good for the 3DS, it doesn't have the liquid feel of the Vita, but that's a natural drawback of having two separate screens with only one being touch compatible. The current means of arranging software is fine, but like I expect of Pokemon Bank in the future, there should really be an auto-arrange option that will sort by title, date downloaded etc. Another thing is to make the entire UI compatible with both touch and button control as it always annoys me when I'll reach certain parts of the OS that can only be interacted with by touch screen such as the settings, even though I used physical buttons to navigate to the icon and launch it.

The friend menu at launch was completely fine, but it's been horribly neglected. Am I the only one who looked at originally and felt that it was fine, but came across as a preliminary framework that will be further fleshed out during the consoles life? I assumed this update to it was going to come after Mario Kart 7 due to the new online features it utilised, but it just never came. Seeing the current favourite title of a given friend and what is essentially a tweet needed evolution, why can't I click a friend and send them a message? Why can't I click a friend who's online with a title that is digitally available/cartridge inserted in the console and invite/join them to a multiplayer game dependant on their current activity? It's just a bit of a shame that the 3DS could probably do this in its current form, but it doesn't.

Nintendo needs to consider solutions to current issues regarding communication that has plagued the 3DS in terms of Letter Box and Flipnote 3D being utilised in illegal ways. Nintendo needs to bring back these features, but the unadulterated forms can be unlocked via credit card verification. What I mean by this is leaving the titles as they are, but the ability to send things over the internet to friends and potentially strangers will be unlocked via a small amount of money being charged to the users credit card, with information about why this is needed being displayed on the top screen so parents who are also asked to cough up can see it. This'll relinquish a lot of liability on Nintendo's end which they're clearly terrified of.

Finally, keep Streetpass. Those who you streetpass regularly can automatically be added to an 'acquaintances' list within the friend system providing both systems allow this to happen, allowing the players to join each others games but with restrictive, pre-set communication methods. Due to the Nintendo Zone relays, up the amount of people you can streetpass in a single session and counter balance this with new, short burst games as some of the new games for Streetpass consume a little too much time to be truly compatible with 30 people.

To be fair on the Moto G, that phone was made when Motorola was owned by Google and Google wanted to create a cheap phone that worked well because they get their profits from the software. Now that Google don't own Motorola anymore, you won't see phones like that.

To be fair on the Moto G, that phone was made when Motorola was owned by Google and Google wanted to create a cheap phone that worked well because they get their profits from the software. Now that Google don't own Motorola anymore, you won't see phones like that.

Console makers also get profits from the software, not the hardware.