NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB / 3DS)

Yeah, I've completed this on the 3DS. Not a bad game, and not a great one, but perfectly playable on Virtual Console. My tip is to create an actual Restore Point (not just an automatic save state) every time you're on top of a Save Point and have full health and missiles.

It's quite a strange game as there are no real bosses (apart from the main one), just the Alpha/Omega/whatever Metroids. And as obscure/forgotten as it is, it actually sets up one of the most popular story points in the series. My main problem was the lack of a map. People say it's small enough not to need a map, but I still wanted one.

Oh bollocks, thought this was a 3DS remake for a second :p seeing as it's the Metroid game yet to have one.

I really like this one, actually.

It feels different from other Metroids, definitely a more claustrophobic feeling when you don't have a map and you're just down in the caves. Thankfully, the labyrinth never really becomes confusing like in Metroid 1, since this time the world is actually divided into small parts (so, a decent sense of direction might still be needed, but at least it's reasonable). The different places actually manage to feel different, too, even in shades of grey.

The Jump Ball and Spiderball also debuted in this game, I think, and they're great fun. Who can forget that enormous cave near the end?

Plus, there's something cool about your mission being "hunt down and kill every tough enemy in this game". They still got some good mileage from fighting the same enemy in different environments.

So yeah, I'm quite fond of it, even if I admit it's for rather specific reasons.

Yeah, I'm using the Restore Points just like with other retro games.

But doesn't Metroid II have save points already?

Well yeah, but Zelda II puts you back at the first town if you die, while Metroid II brings you back to the most recent save point (which you can use multiple times), like so many modern games still do.

Well yeah, but Zelda II puts you back at the first town if you die, while Metroid II brings you back to the most recent save point (which you can use multiple times), like so many modern games still do.

Yes, but as far as I recall, they don't actually replenish anything. Restore Points are fantastic to make when you're "on the up".

Sign in to follow this