N-Europe

Tethering on Three - a problemo which needs a solutiono

david.dakota

Right, having renegotiated by landline broadband in light of, quite frankly, shit speeds I am open to the idea of using a Three MiFi unit for certain connections.

Firstly, we rarely peak above 2Mbps nowadays (we've previously been able to get 3-3.5Mbps and even 4Mbps, but this seems impossible now). This means streaming services like LoveFilm, Netflix barely work. Eventually got my landline provider to significantly reduce the price - this leaves me with a £15 surplus per month which I was looking at investing in an unbranded MiFi unit and a Three sim solely for either YouView or GoogleTV. The Three speeds here are excellent here - just shy of 8Mbps consistently. But I have hit a snag:

Three have clamped down on tethering, which I would effectively be doing with either GoogleTV or YouView via WiFi. Pay Monthly or PAYG both offer unlimited data, but are restricted with tethering bundles and only the £25 one plan includes unlimited bundling. Obviously, the standard 'mobile broadband' tariffs wouldn't be suitable for video streaming- theyre not at all generous with those.

Is it possible to crack Three tethering monitors on a MiFi unit. I know of Android apps that do, but don't want to have a mobile hanging around.

Any other options people can think of?

Edited by david.dakota

I've seen reports that you can just plug a sim in and go, and others where three will cut you off, so it's hard to say.

Wouldn't the best option be to can the landline broadband and use the money for an unlimited unlimited 3 contract?