N-Europe

Little Big Planet Karting

Cookyman

Sounds like an utter mess. I think the whole LBP look needs to be done over.

To be fair the reviewer's reasoning make him sound like someone pissed in his Dortios bag and spilled his Mountain dew :p

Take this for example:

Again, all of that is solid, but LBP Karting strips out a few of the ModNation mechanics that made that game strategic and fun. You no longer have a boost/shield meter to worry about; now, you get the boost from drifting and have to decide if you want to use your item for its given purpose or use it to defend an attack when the time comes. This is a step backward.

Which is basically saying Mario Kart is bad. I think most people would prefer Mk's design to Modnation's which was complex with maybe too many things to watch out for a family game. LBP/MK have a good balance imo. Sega racing would be too simple as an opposite example.

I played the beta and tried some single player at Eurogamer, didnt seem like anything was wrong. Infact it was playing great even if its similar to MK in gameplay.

Afew others live: http://www.gamesradar.com/littlebigplanet-karting-review/ 4/5

http://www.psnation.org/2012/11/06/review-littlebigplanet-karting-ps3/ A-

http://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/52911/Little+Big+Planet+Karting/?page=2&sid=66142bcf362a75947b71d41c4000c283 8/10

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/littlebigplanet_karting/b/ps3/archive/2012/11/06/more-than-just-a-mascot-cash-in.aspx 8/10

The game was unlocked at 12:00 am for play. PSN has been smooth in regards to pre ordering.

Costumes from the other LBP games(LBP 1 & 2, Vita) will be made compatible in a patch going by the message you get when booting up. Should have been ready day 1 as its a big deal imo. They give you a thank you costume and kart for playing other LBP games.

So far my impressions are great. Game is similar to the beta at the start with a few minor changes. Hopping is more powerful now. You hop higher than MK meaning its handy to use on certain parts of tracks. Other than that its very similar to MK with the added ability to bash those around you (L1). Weapon dynamics are also very similar to MK and I think this is a big deal for multiplayer compared to Mod Nation Racers. The game has some nice ideas like a notifier to tell you who you hit or hit you. Which is nice when there is chaos.

I raced a few story mode tracks which are fine but quite easy(done 4 so far). AI is rubberband based like Mario Kart( i think) but nothing too cheap so far. Its much much easier than Modnation racers thankfully. I was able to take first getting hit many times and collecting all bubbles. Bubbles and prizes actually work well here and encourage you to work out shortcuts, jumps and navigate the track better. There are tons of mini games and battle mode levels. Some are very well made. Some are simple Mario Party style stuff.

As expected user made content is the real star of the show here. There are other game types like fps, tower defense, wave race/water racing style stuff etc. The game is more akin to LBP2 where you can easily make non racing game stuff. One of the most popular levels is a boat race track on water with ramps, sharks and everything. I might try to make a snowboarding stage myself. Graphics look great considering the amount of customisation and I sm sure the best is yet to come :)

So far the biggest flaws are that i would like even more control customisation (change brake button from O for X accelerate users). Give analog control stick accelerate option? The game uses depth of field to mask aliasing in the distance. Doesnt look bad but I would prefer less of that and proper AA. I'll update this as i play more.

I still need to play offline multiplayer but online has been fine so far. If you miss the start of the race you can spectate and wait.

So far I am more than happy with the release. Compared to the other non MK kart games this is looking like a winner. I'll update with more impressions and pictures later(good test of photo mode).

edit: need to remind myself to look out for time trials and GP mode or something.

Edited by Choze