N-Europe

Selling stock images, need some help!

Eenuh

Hey all!

I've been asked by someone if they can buy some of my images digitally so they can use them on their website. Now I have absolutely no idea how to go about this or what would be a good way to do this.

If I (somehow) sell them through my own website, how could I have any guarantee that the people aren't using it for other things?

If I sell through some stock site, would I have that guarantee or would it be the same, to just hope people are sincere in their use?

Also what stock site would be good? I just looked at one and they were charging $250 per year plus something like $25 per submission...

Then another site has no fees but you get 50% of the price people pay.

And prices seem to vary a lot between sites...

So basically I have no idea what would be the best way to go about this. Sell it myself or use a stock image site? And if I sell it myself, how much could I charge per image?

Hope someone can help me with this!

I checked out the Corbis website but I couldn't even find any info on what the fees would be or how much the royalties are that I would get. Confusing site!

I also don't really understand how these sites can make sure buyers only use the image for what they say they will/ for how long they say they need it for...

That part is essentially impossible - take the movie/music/software/ebook industry for example...best thing to do is deal only with decent professionals, the kind of people who would buy it even if they could pirate. No idea how you'd do it though I'm afraid. Maybe photography forums would have good tips?