NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The Peeps

Internal HDD

I'm looking to buy a new internal HDD as my current one is quite old and I'm having some issues with it...

I don't need anything fancy, just something up to date. I had a quick look and saw this: http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/whitebox-generic-internal-3-5-sata-hard-drive-1tb-11255568-pdt.html

Just wanted to see if there are better deals to go for or any preferred brands. Thanks for any help :p

<obviously this was meant to go in tech... can a mod move it please? @Dan Dare or anyone else :p

Edited by The Peeps

avoid maxtor. I used to like WD but they've let me down twice now. Seagate have always been good for me. I don't know about hitachi, never owned.

Of course these aren't statistically significant, but that doesn't replace 100gb of music!

My powers must be waning. I can't do anything here!

I've used a couple of Western Digital externals and they've been nothing short of exemplary, both. I know a lot of people who buy their drives exclusively too so they're a good bet.

I've been warned off Seagate, @Yvonne! I think I was recommended WD or...Samsung?

GAH! Just seen I have a Seagate in this computer! Hmm. Well, my advise would be fairly standard, look on somewhere like ebuyer and check reviews etc. Ebuyer's probably pretty decent pricewise too? I dunno, I've been confused since all the HDD prices got thrown out of whack.

Yeah the one I have now is Seagate and was perfectly fine... until it wasn't. Looked on ebuyer and the prices were fairly similar to the one I posted so I just went with that.

Thanks for your comments guys :)

I recommend you get something with at least 7200 rpm, as otherwise the speed your computer can write to disk might end up being a bottleneck a lot of the time. Although the new prices make that harder...

Sign in to follow this