Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Music Review 2011

Paj!

Inspired by ReZ's movie one, list your top albums/tracks of the last year, or the things you hated...whatever. I just love making lists of things I love and seeing others.

PREFACE: I often find out about the great albums of the year as all these lists are being compiled, so a lot of this will probably have changed this time next year after having time to listen to other albums I never got around to, but I'm sure I'll like.

my top albums of the last year. (that I've truly given time to)

17. David Lynch, "Crazy Clown Time"

Filmmaker known for his amazing sound makes album. Too samey but with some stunners.

musiclynch.jpg

Choice tracks:

16. Björk, "Biophilia"

My beloved Bjork leaves me a bit cold with the technically excellently crafted album that lacks (for me) heart along with her prior pop sensibility.

musicbjork.jpg

Choice tracks:

15. Rihanna, "Talk That Talk"

A clear rush-job of an album (there's an unfinished song on the album...) yields some strong results regardless.

musicrihanna.jpg

Choice tracks:

14. Tyler, The Creator, "Goblin"

I love the production/sound. I don't pay much attention the lyrics...apparently he's homophobic, but he says he isn't...actions do speak louder than words though. *shrug*

musictyler.jpg

Choice tracks:

13. Lykke Li, "Wounded Rhymes"

She just sounds so much more vital than her first album. More bombastic. Sadness Is A Blessing is a modern-day Shangri-La's song.

musiclykke.jpg

Choice tracks:

12. The Unthanks, "Last"

My beloved geordie folk group stun once more.

the_unthanks_2_1300638263.jpg

Choice tracks: Close The Coalhouse Door

11. Britney Spears, "Femme Fatale"

She finally becomes a tool in her producer's palette without any pretensions, and it's one of the most enjoyable pop albums of the year. Glitchily great.

musicbritney.jpg

Choice tracks:

10. Kanye West/Jay-Z, "Watch The Throne"

Overlong and not as good as Kanye's previous solo album but production-wise this is faultless.

musicjaykanye.jpg

Choice tracks: Why I Love You,

9. Patrick Wolf, "Lupercalia"

Initially felt 'too happy' but it's so solid when you get used to it. Some of his best singles on here.

musicpatrick.jpg

Choice tracks: The Future,

8. Bon Iver, "Bon Iver"

Lovely in the background. I have no idea of any of the lyrics though.

musicboniver.jpg

Choice tracks:

7. Kate Bush, "50 Words For Snow"

Yes. The queen is back, in the most successful "christmas" album ever, that isn't even about christmas. Here's a song about a one-night stand with a snowman.

musickate-1.jpg

Choice tracks: Misty

6. Beyoncé, "4"

She proves she's ABOVE all her peers by NOT choosing to go 'dance' in hope of hits like everyone else. A mature, well-crafted, all-round great album. Her best by far.

musicbeyonce.jpg

Choice tracks:

5. Laura Marling, "A Creature I Don't Know"

Her third album doesn't stun on impact like her previous two, but we're used to her wisdom beyond her years, and this looser effort just feel more assured perhaps.

musiclaura.jpg

Choice tracks: The Beast, Salinas

4. Florence + The Machine, "Ceremonials"

She tries to make every song the most epic be-all-and-end-all song EVERRR but it works.

musicflorence.jpg

Choice tracks:

3. Katy B, "On A Mission"

Lovely, honest songs about being in clubs that aren't filled with fantasies of 'da club' or 'shorties'. Feel like you could meet her for a chat.

msuickatyb.jpg

Choice tracks:

2. PJ Harvey, "Let England Shake"

Of course. Not my fave PJ album, but technically a stunning work. LOVE that she's finally getting the universal praise she's always deserved.

musicpjharvey.jpg

Choice tracks:

1. Lady Gaga, "Born This Way"

It's just my favourite album this year by far. So so so much fun.

musicgaga.jpg

Choice tracks:

Probably would have made the list given more time:

Drake - Take Care

Feist - Metals

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

I really like a good portion of 21 by Adele, but I no longer consider it an album, more like an inevitability of life, like the morning news or going food shopping. It's just a thing you know you'll experience, so why bother taking time listening now? Rolling In The Deep IS excellent though.

---

What about U?

Edited by Paj!