N-Europe

Ready Player One

flameboy

51gNIkj7%2BfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ok so it's not often we see a single thread for a book but I defintely think this warrants it. For me it represents a defining moment in videogame novels. Now sure there are plenty of perfectly workable videogame adaptations but this is much more a game that encapsulates the video game world that we all know know and love. Also a very healthy smattering of 80's cultural references have simply made me fall in love with the book! Not finished it yet but cannot put it down.

Product Description

Review

Fascinating and imaginative...It's non-stop action when gamers must navigate clever puzzles and outwit determined enemies in a virtual world in order to save a real one. Readers are in for a wild ride. --Terry Brooks, #1 New York Times bestselling author

Ready Player One expertly mines a copious vein of 1980s pop culture, catapulting the reader on a light-speed adventure in an advanced but backward-looking future. If this book were a living room, it would be wood-paneled. If it were shoes, it would be high-tops. And if it were a song, well, it would have to be Eye of the Tiger. I really, really loved it. --Daniel H. Wilson, author of How to Survive a Robot Uprising and Robopocalypse

The pure, unfettered brainscream of a child of the 80s, like a dream my 13-year-old self would have had after bingeing on Pop Rocks and Coke...I couldn't put it down. --Charles Ardai, Edgar Award-winning author and producer of Haven

Pure geek heaven. Ernest Cline's hero competes in a virtual world with life-and-death stakes -- which is only fitting, because he's fighting to make his dreams into reality. Cline blends a dystopic future with meticulously detailed nostalgia to create a story that will resonate in the heart of every true nerd. --Chris Farnsworth, author of Blood Oath

Ready Player One is a fantastic adventure set in a futuristic world with a retro heart. Once I started reading, I didn't want to put it down and I couldn't wait to pick it back up.

--S.G. Browne, author of Breathers and Fated

Book Description

A jaw-droppingly cinematic, genre-busting debut that's part virtual space opera, part classic coming-of-age story, part brilliant pop-culture mash-up

• 9 months later...

Old Bump here.

I've just finished reading the book and it was fantastic. I was born in the 90's so didnt get a few of the references but ive had Wikipedia up whilst reading, and Youtube for the song references.

It pretty much ticked all my boxes, a must read for Video Game fans, id advise all of you to pick it up, the concept is unreal and made me so excited, feels like a constant daydream.

Cant believe he actually put a hidden easter egg in the book which leads to 'The First Gate' on the internet which is inspired by the hunt in the Novel itself.