NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

HDD Recommendations

Thinking about upgrading my laptops internal HDD since it's getting close to being full but I'm not sure on what the best drives to upgrade to are.

My current spec is:

Size: 2.5

Storage: 250GB

Type: Serial ATA

Hard Drive Speed: 5200rpm

I'd probably upgrade to anywhere between 620GB and 1TB for storage and maybe 7200rpm if possible and depending on the price. With it being a laptop I'd like the drive to be as quiet as possible.

Did a quick look on ebuyer(sorted by price, filtered by 640, 750 and 1000GB sizes only); they have a 640GB WD Blue for £55 inc delivery, their only 1TB drive is WD too but it's £85. I'm not sure what brands are good/bad, though I've had WD and Samsung recommended to me before.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&sort=pricelow&limit=50&store=33&cat=392&filtersubcat=3263&filterca76=640%2C750%2C1000

Don't touch Seagate. I heard their drives can be flakey. But I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for once.

The drive broke down within a matter of weeks and I had used it for a client. Let's just say I don't have their business any more and Seagate doesn't have mine.

WD are good, just avoid WD Green. I keep hearing good things about samsung's drives these days as well though.

Really? What's wrong with Green? I was almost considering getting a 3.5" Green for my computer at some point(has a front loading HD bay).

I have also been warned quite highly off Seagate iirc, I thought I had but couldn't remember if it was them, but Ten10 makes me think it probably was. It might be worth finding a few drives you like the look of/price, then search online for some benchmarking and comparisons etc.

Was thinking about getting the Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB which are designed for laptops (apparently), can't really find any bad reviews on it.

I googled for a benchmark/review and it seemed to do quite well, so I'd say it's a good choice if the price difference isn't huge(usually the biggest factor for me).

Sign in to follow this