NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Oxigen_Waste

Mini desktop to be used as media center?

Did you ever sort something for this, @Oxigen_Waste ?

I bought myself an Emachines ER1401 and installed OpenElec on it (a mod of XBMC) and I control it using a smartphone app. You can even turn it on using Wake-on-LAN function. It was about £105 on eBay although stock is scarce now, but there are a few other alternatives with similar spec.

Plays anything I can throw at it, including 1080p MKV files with subs.

Did you ever sort something for this, @Oxigen_Waste ?

I bought myself an Emachines ER1401 and installed OpenElec on it (a mod of XBMC) and I control it using a smartphone app. You can even turn it on using Wake-on-LAN function. It was about £105 on eBay although stock is scarce now, but there are a few other alternatives with similar spec.

Plays anything I can throw at it, including 1080p MKV files with subs.

Yeah, I sorted it. I found a loophole. I sold my old (1 year old) laptop for +/- 500£ and since my cousing was going to new york, gave him 390£ for him to buy a mac mini and installed windows 7 in a partition, so... best of both worlds, really. It kind of became my main pc, mostly... but I also have a desktop.

But the plan's not over there...

With the leftover £ plus a little more... I'll eventually buy an asus transformer (or something of similar nature) when it becomes good enough (aka when it actually works like a netbook which doubles as a pad).

At this point its looking like the raspberry pi ($25-$35) might actually be decent for media.

Told you a Mac Mini was a good option!

:)

Yep, but it's expensivo! I only bought it 'coz of the loophole, really...

Yeah I don't blame you.

I nearly picked up some Apple products while in New York.

Sign in to follow this