N-Europe

Nil By Mouth

dwarf

Nil_by_Mouth.jpg

Anyone seen this film? 'Gritty British Drama' featuring domestic violence, crime and drugs. Employs the use of the word 'fuck' almost 4 times a minute.

It's much more than how I've just detailed it though. Take a gand at my three sentence review, the film is really quite something, and as I say, as far as 'entertainment' is concerned, I'm not sure if Nil By Mouth really fits the bill.

It’s hard to review a depressing and hard-hitting film like Nil By Mouth as it is such a stonewall heavy viewing experience that it makes ‘This is England’ seem lightweight in terms of its uncompromising depiction of a bleak (that word doesn’t even begin to cover it) council-housing prison life that’s delivered rife with drugs, crime and domestic violence. My preconception of Ray Winstone going into the film was tarnished at best, having seen him shamelessly advertise Kellogg’s and readily roll into his typecast form as a misplaced voice actor in Killzone 3, but I was blown away by the acting in this film, and I can say without doubt it was the most powerful and grittily realistic stuff I’ve ever seen.

It is impossible to watch the film and not take time out to muse upon and compare it with your own life, the portrayal and symbolism of contempt and despair is that relentless, that sad, so as enough for me to suggest to you do not hunt for entertainment value therein - instead, absorb the astonishing slice of a world not-too far removed from your own and watch out for the excruciatingly, dismally crafted line ‘there’s bits in that’ - it hits like a sod’s law sucker punch.

8/10

Even if only one of you has seen it I'd been interested in your thoughts. It certainly evoked a marked reaction from me.

Edited by dwarf

I really liked this film as well. Such a brilliant drama that was frighteningly realistic and bleak and the performances in the movie were excellent. Ray Winstone and Kathy Burke played their characters fantastically and the movie brought up so many emotions at once. Accurate review of how I feel about the movie, Dwarf.

I've read a few user reviews for it and the consensus seems to be that is is 'depressing with a dash of hope'. Despite the ending I didn't feel there was really any hope at all, it seemed to fail in that regard.

Having seen Ray's habits throughout the film it was crushing to see him return to the family. None of them would ever escape the council estate 'prison'. And everything bad would cycle through again.