N-Europe

Live band problems(Mainly GNR)

mcj metroid

Now here's how you do it...Didn't attend this myself, but caught my eye in the news:

Iron Maiden, Iggy and Alice help save Sonisphere Finland

Monday, August 9, 2010

A freak thunderstorm that unexpectedly blew in from the Baltic Sea threatened to uproot Sonisphere Finland, but the bands, the crew and – just as importantly the fans – all pulled together and ensured the show went on. It was a true team effort. The biggest concern was the injuries sustained by some of the crowd.

The storm lasted less than five minutes, but in that time it damaged the second stage beyond repair (it’s currently being held up by a crane), completely broke Mötley Crüe’s kit and soaked absolutely everyone at the festival.

Team Sonisphere were forced to tell Mötley Crüe who were en route to Pori to turn their tour bus around as their gear was simply wrecked. As Bruce Dickinson announced on stage as he gave a rallying call to the crowd and introduced Alice Cooper: “The stage over there is completely fucked. Mötley Crüe’s stuff is fucked and our stuff is fucked, but we don’t care. We’re not going home until you go home.”

Iggy Pop was the first artist to get back up on stage. “We’re a small part of the fucking Stooges,” he said before playing an impromptu four-song acoustic set with his guitarist. For ‘I Wanna Be Your Dog’ he invited his saxophone player up on stage, holding his mike to the horn for amplification. It was something you are unlikely to ever witness again in front of a festival crowd and it blew people away. Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo was almost speechless afterwards: “That was fucking phenomenal, really, really awesome and when the sax came out, well…”

Both Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden played full sets. While the stage hands plugged in 30 hairdryers and set to work on salvaging the siutation, Alice’s band got busy borrowing functioning (and most importantly dry) gear from Slayer. It could well be the loudest they’ve ever sounded.

Iron Maiden went on two hours later than originally planned, but didn’t stint on their set for a second. The reception was unbelievable and deservedly so. As Bruce said before the set’s finale:

“This is one of the most amazing concerts of my whole life. We were pissed on by the gods and we pissed on the gods right back. For those of you that have rocked we fucking salute you.”

Iron Maiden manager Rod Smallwood agreed, saying backstage: “This is the most amazing audience I’ve ever seen in Europe for any Iron Maiden gig ever.”

http://uk.sonispherefestivals.com/2010/08/iron-maiden-iggy-and-alice-help-save-sonisphere-finland/