NEurope
mcj metroid

Live band problems(Mainly GNR)

GUNS AND ROSES LIVE IN DUBLIN?

I wasn't one that attended but perhaps someone here did. I know some people that did and a LOT of people are angry about this at the moment.

I was at the same Arena the night before to see blink 182.

Basically the story was

The crowd are not amused as the band do not appear on stage until approx 10:25pm( hour and half late). No interaction or apology by Axl to the crowd who are booing etc.. Bottles are thrown on stage during the start of Welcome To The Jungle. Axl tells the crowd to stop throwing bottles at him or they'll leave. The show goes on for another couple of songs before more bottles are thrown at Axl & he just up's & leaves. The Promoters / Venue staff make announecements to the crowd about trying to fix technical difficulties at first (yeah right!) & then tell people they're working to get the band back & ask the crowd to stop throwing things at Axl. The crowd were told another annoucment would be forthcoming but after 10-15 mins, the house lights just came on & crowds started to leave after O2 staff were telling the crowd it was over & to contact MCD for a refund... I was one fo the crowd who had waited for ages & after been told it was over & the band were not coming back on & to seek my refund from MCD, I heard the band came back on at approx 11:30pm but we weren't allowed back into the venue.

Axl has been pulling this shit for 20 odd years now?

I guess my overall question here is, has this sort of thing ever happened to you before? Do you think the crowd reaction is this case is justified?

He did it at Reading and Leeds Festival. The story goes that he fell asleep and the tour crew were under strict instructions not to wake him up. Guns n Roses then proceeded to get a shit ton of boos from the crowd and were cut off from their encore, resulting in Axl grabbing a megaphone out of desperation and shouting out Paradise City before security intervened.

Basically, he's a total prick.

After Reading and Leeds you would've thought he could learn his lesson. There is no excuse for leaving your fans waiting like that.

Nob jockey.

I heard that they were late for either reading or leeds because show organisers has said that anyone that was an hour late for their set wouldn't get paid... so they were 58 minutes late. Hilarious...

That's the other one I've heard. Think that one came from Marina and the Diamonds mouth, and of course she was there the same time so..could be right.

Personally me and my friends were taking our guesses at how many lines he'd taken backstage.

Guns And Some Roses lost their credibility anyway.

GNR is awesome in other respects:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

What kinda dumbshit goes to see Gn'R anythefuckingwho?

It's not Guns and Roses, its the most obnoxious man ever to grace the musical medium, and his troupe of personal lackeys. By way of an analogy; you don't make eye contact with a Rhino unless you want to get anally impaled.

I saw Amy Winehouse 3 years ago the first tour date after a much publicised one where she was shite/on drugs, then booed off stage/attacked a fan who threw something at her or something.

She was 40 mins late (or like...just enought to annoy slightly, but deal with), and was on top form. Note-perfect, etc.

So that was good.

Tegan and Sara were late on (slightly) one time, but Tegan was crying so you can tell something bad had gone on.

It was a festival, and we were there to laugh at him anyway. Of course it wasn't Guns n Roses :heh:

For God's sake, I thought the title was referring to the actual GNR. Or maybe the other one.

Anyway, the crowd has the right to be pissed off. I would do the same in their place.

Personally I never experienced disrespect like that at concerts (yet), I only heard the stories about Amy Winehouse showing up drunk in Lisbon, and Elton John cancelling his performance in Porto at the very last minute (because his boyfriend threw a hissy fit or something like that). Disgraceful, really.

If you have to see a similarly ancient artist, but someone who still has a degree of dignity, see Alice Cooper. Not this bunch of kents.

Or equally, go to a Kylie concert.

My mate went to see this. utter disgrace. He was telling me about it, and how much of a waste of money it was for him -- he had to get several trains and a plane to get there, and they (axl) rob him. He's still fighting to get his money back.

A few years ago I went to see The Used at Brixton Carling Acadamy.

There were two support bands, each were an hour late onto stage, and there was an hour gap between them. When The Used finally came onstage they played 10 songs (about 45 mins) then came back to do 3 song for their encore.

And they were shit.

Regarding the final line of your post; that's a prerequisite of them being The Used, rather than the caliber of their live performance, which is probably a superfluous consideration.

=p

The second time I saw Madness live I was really excited because I was right at the front, but they turned up over an hour late. There wasn't any explanation or apology but no one really seemed to mind that much once they started - I know I didn't. I suppose some acts can just get away with it.

I saw Madness live once, and they were awesome. Just thought I'd throw that out there!

Axl Rose in shitcunt shocker!

In all seriousness though, I feel bad for people who went. But the band have a terrible history of fucking up and being late (Chinese Democracy anyone). A friend asked me to go to the London gig I told him to go **** himself because I didn't want that ginger imp taking my hard earned cash.

Edited by Ramar

Recently Kings of Leon did something similar. They played 3 songs, and then a bird pooped in the Bassists mouth so they canceled the rest of the show.

I didn't like them before, but goddamn that makes me like them less.

Haha that's awesome.

I've never really had much issue, usually no longer than 20minute waits when sets go a bit haywire, but I tend to steer clear of bands that do have long waits.

Like Jayseven I've seen the Used (I saw them at give it a name, can't remember if it was 2007 or 08.) they were pretty good actually, long set, they were pretty decent, but I've not bothered to see them by themselves as I don't like them that much.

I remember my first gig (trivium) and the set went a bit cack halfway through, they just carried on, played some different songs (some were requested by the audience), best gig I've ever been too, over 5 years ago now! Ouch.

The best gig i've seen was probably Nickelback. Obvously a lot of people don't like them, but about half way through the gig, Chad come on the mic and said they had been told to wrap up the set sharpish so that the traffic congestion wouldn't be too bad (something less was happening in Glasgow at the time and anyone who's been to Glasgow knows how shit the traffic can be). Well he said fuck that and proceeded to play for an hour more than they normally would.

This comes to mind actually:

Iron Maiden had eggs lobbed at them, their power kept being cut, but they just played on and on. Eventually (right at the end of this video) Sharon Osbourne comes out and congratulates the band, but calls Bruce Dickinson a prick. Even though he was legendary in the handling of all the bullshit that was going on.

Recently Kings of Leon did something similar. They played 3 songs, and then a bird pooped in the Bassists mouth so they canceled the rest of the show.

I didn't like them before, but goddamn that makes me like them less.

Hardly something similar, if a bird shat in my mouth, i'd leave.

It's not asif they were being total douchebags.

Morrisey's whole being a drama green about someone cooking meat at a gig (or should I say, someone outside the gig cooking meat but the smell wafted) and refusing to play and storming off is a classic example of the fact he's a huge cunt. Good music but such a fucking cunt.

And of course calling Chinese people a subspecies recently. Excellent Morrisey, really.

Generally, the gigs I've been to have gone smoothly. The only one that I've been too where the band had problems was when I saw HIM during their recent tour in March. For whatever reason, they clearly hadn't setup properly and the sound was awful (you couldn't even hear Ville singing, only the crowd filling in the lyrics). They then decided to sod off offstage and said that they might come back on for an encore if the venue sorted out their sound issues/setup. Definitely nothing to do with the venue, as the support band were immense. Simply a case of the lead singer being big headed.

Other than that, every gig I've gone to has run on time. My brother was at the Velvet Revolver gig where Weiland said that the band was finished and walked off stage. He was supposedly going to be kicked anyway but he just walked off rather than finish the set. At least Slash and co finished it.

I've luckily never had problems like that with a live band.

Although my White Stripes gig was cancelled because Meg was a whore and had a sex video leaked on the internet.

But I don't understand the throwing bottles thing...

That seems like a huge over reaction.

"You were late and you didn't say sorry, now I'm going to try and give you head injuries you cunt!"

BOOOO.

Seems a tad childish.

I saw GNR a few years back in Manchester and they were great and on time. However I have heard they make a habit of late appearances, which is really lame and a major let down for their fans. I know it's a hang over from the way bands used to behave back in the day - liek jamming around songs - but things have moved on and they need to act in a more responsible manner.

I go to a lot of gigs and festivals and have never really suffered any bad experiences except for Mr Doherty.

Libertines days weren't too bad but the small babyshambles or his own gigs got ridiculous. Sometimes didn't come on till gone midnight, fucked out of his head. Still always put on an awesome gig and to be fair it was kinda expected by the fans and no one used to turn up till 10:30-11 anyways....

As for the KoL bird poo gig, it wasn't that the bassist got poo'd on once, they were getting peppered, the support bands were too. They have returned since and played the gig I believe. In other KoL news, their new album is out soon....

The GnR thing is a joke. He is such a prick.