NEurope
Ryan

Is this a good router for PS3?

Just because your internet is slow it doesn't mean a new router will necessarily fix it.

you don't have wireless security? Why...not....?

(someone could be whoring your connection hence fail speeds, but then that's only one of many many potential problems you could be having)

the reviews on that website seem to have praise for it, so i suppose it would do a basic no frills job..

(fyi any standard wireless router should work with consoles)

You are on virgin cable (as opposed to like bt/sky/talktalk) aren't you? that's what that router you chose is for

Edited by Raining_again

It looks basically like my Pre-N belkin router but it's shiny O.o, and at that price... WANT! xD I'm a sucker for shiny things :P If it is anything like my Pre-N one then it'll be brilliant, and reliable, had mine for years and it's still going. Unlike the Netgear one we had 1st that didn't like being on all the time and burnt itself out, nothing against Netgear btw just my only Netgear router broke. I like how belkin offer that lifetime warranty thing but not had a chance to test it as no problems yet *touch wood*.

Go to, http://speedtest.net/. About in the middle of the page on the left side is your IP address, copy and paste than into your address bar to access your router.

If you haven't fiddled before the name and password should be the defualts (which outta be documented somewhere) but with some fiddling you can add wireless security like WEP/WPA. My router is literally 1 click to get to security settings, choose one, set a passphrase and apply. It may or may not be that simple for your current router, but I'm sure it's possible and you can likely find online manuals from the manufacturer by googling the model number.

DO NOT however start messing with anything you don't understand...

Also try calling your ISP up and seeing if it's something on their end. I've had slow speeds before because of something on Verizons end and we had to call them to get them to fix it. Although I think they claimed not to see a problem at first, but found it shortly after during the same call.

Just remember if you add security you'll have to change the settings on you Laptop and PS3 to reflect those changes.