NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Caris

Game saves question.

I recently picked up a Wii. I haven't had one since launch and I figured it now was a good time to buy one.

anyways I just have one question, I've done a Google but I'm still not 100% sure of the answer.

I basically want to know if I can back up my game saves on a SD card and if I ever get a new Wii (if they bring out a new model or mine breaks) can I just copy my saves back onto the new console? I remember some people saying stuff about games being locked to individual consoles but I can't remember if that was just something to do with the Virtual console.

Also if my Wii does ever break what happens to the stuff that I can't backup?

Thanks.

Some saves can be copied or moved, some can not.

If your Wii breaks, I guess you lose them unless Nintendo can help you out somehow.

Yeah you can copy over saves to a different Wii as long as you've played the game (actually you just need to insert the disk). You can't copy any saves for games that have online functions though, like Brawl or Mario Kart.

What about VC games if your Wii breaks? and saves for VC games?

If your Wii breaks, Nintendo will fix it. For free, if its warranty hasn't expired. But it's always safe to back-up as proof if by some odd occurrence you get a console returned that's been mysteriously wiped.

Ok, thanks for the help everyone.

Edited by Caris
I'm a spaz.

I do wonder what's going to happen with Nintendo's next console, if it's backwards compatible with the Wii. Surely there's going to have to be a way of transferring files like Brawl's save data over to your new console? Then again, considering that people haven't been able to transfer DSi data to their new DSi XLs, maybe that sort of thing isn't a priority for Nintendo.

Nintendo can trace whats on your Wii - I think through the Nintendo.co.uk account, so make sure thats linked before making any purchases. Saves are a different story though, Nintendo can probably offer some support in some break downs, but I suppose there is the possibility that in some circumstances its all lost.

I can understand the argument of locking saves to the machines, but you should really be able to back up saves to the cloud.

Sign in to follow this