N-Europe

Mobile Broadband

Caris

I'm thinking of getting PAYG Mobile Broadband for when I go away for weekends etc.

I've just been on the phone to o2 and they have offered me the dongle for £10 shipped and I'm very tempted.

I'm just wondering if anyone has an input before I go ahead and order it? Is there better networks/deals for this about?

Give me your information!

(btw I don't want iPhone tethering before someone suggests it)

Three do some pretty strong deals. Their coverage is supposedly better than O2's too (based on Ofcom's findings, though that was just coverage with no mention of speed or the quality of coverage). Difficult to say really. You'd likely get better coverage and a faster connection from Vodafone or Orange but neither network will be as cheap as your O2 deal or Three's tariffs.

Oh, and a last thing. I've noticed a lot of PAYG mobile BB tariffs have the credit expiring after 30 days. That'd be the decider for me, sounds like a right crappy situation.

Three do some pretty strong deals. Their coverage is supposedly better than O2's too (based on Ofcom's findings, though that was just coverage with no mention of speed or the quality of coverage). Difficult to say really. You'd likely get better coverage and a faster connection from Vodafone or Orange but neither network will be as cheap as your O2 deal or Three's tariffs.

Oh, and a last thing. I've noticed a lot of PAYG mobile BB tariffs have the credit expiring after 30 days. That'd be the decider for me, sounds like a right crappy situation.

absolutely 100% better, as I said they have their own dedicated network system. The coverage here in northern Ireland is superb, and they are always improving. (all the other services barely provide any connectivity in n.i) You can get good monthly deals, and the P&G seems to be pretty decent from what I've heard..

I've got a £15 pm contract over 12 months, 3gb download. (and you can get better if you want to extend)

The only thing is, its definitely considerably slower than standard broadband - if its an internet replacement you may end up regretting it. Very similar to mobile phone broadband speeds - it is basically the same thing.

I've never had any problems with too much downtime, or dropping connection. It's really a postcode lottery, and its worth doing research with a few companies before you buy, they all have checkers on their respective websites.