N-Europe

Momentary Freezing Problem

Eddage

Hey guys, I have a problem...

Basically every now and then my computer will freeze (not really sure if that's what it is) for like half a second, meaning the mouse cursor jumps and if I'm playing music the sound will distort a bit. This is on a fresh install of Windows 7 and I've got all the latest drivers. The problem occurs more frequently under heavy load.

My main thought is that it's a memory error and I've run memtest a few times and got a few errors, however I'm finding it hard to pinpoint which stick could be faulty. I've got the error message a couple of times but other times I've run the test for ages and not got any errors. When this happens it's still doing the annoying jumpy/freezy thing, I would have thought that if it was the memory causing it then memtest would report an error every time it happens.

Could it possibly be something else causing this, e.g. processor, hard drive, etc and are there any programs I can use to test those?

have you noticed it happening at a specific time (opening a program or accessing a file?)

check the process manager and see if anything is hogging the processing or memory, that might tell you what the problem is.

Couldn't say for certain that its a hardware fault for sure.. don't go throwing your computer out just yet :heh:

whats the spec like on your system?

Well if everything is plugged in...

6gb DDR3 ram

Intel 6400 @213Ghz processor

Foxconn BlackOps motherboard

Nvidia 8800 GT

32Gb SSD hard drive (boot)

2x 250gb hard drives

Antec 500W Earthwatts PSU

At the moment I've only got the boot drive running and it seems... better, isn't doing it as often, but still does it occasionally.

I'm fairly certain it's not software related cause it's a fresh install of Windows and it still does it, but it does happen more often when the computer is under a heavy load.