N-Europe

Samsung NC20 Netbook?

Molly

Samsung is the only netbook anyone would ever buy when looking for reccomendations from this forum :heh: it has, like a virus, moved from one person to another, monopolising the NE netbook market until nobody would ever consider getting anything else, because everyone would say Samsung.

Not complaining or anything, I'm sure Samsungs are great, but don't get bottlenecked into thinking they're the only option just because everyone here has one.

Samsung is the only netbook anyone would ever buy when looking for reccomendations from this forum :heh: it has, like a virus, moved from one person to another, monopolising the NE netbook market until nobody would ever consider getting anything else, because everyone would say Samsung.

Not complaining or anything, I'm sure Samsungs are great, but don't get bottlenecked into thinking they're the only option just because everyone here has one.

Anyone got any other netbook experience to share then?

All the same really aren't they?

Err...not really. o_O

Not trying to start a flame war - I just meant the fundamentals. N270 Atom processor 1 GB of ram and a 160GB hard drive with Windows XP home.

Lots have 10.1 inch screens as well.

The only real difference seems to be in the other details - quality of screen, keyboard, size of battery - those kinds of things.

Not trying to start a flame war - I just meant the fundamentals. N270 Atom processor 1 GB of ram and a 160GB hard drive with Windows XP home.

Lots have 10.1 inch screens as well.

The only real difference seems to be in the other details - quality of screen, keyboard, size of battery - those kinds of things.

Some of the streamlined EEE's have Linux and solid state drives for starters.

The best way to choose between them is simply to go in to a store and try them out, most of the differences are cosmetic or down to the screen (resolution, size and matte/gloss) or battery.

It's a bad time to buy any of them though, Windows 7 is due out next month and there's a load of new hardware launching on the run up to Christmas.

Some of the streamlined EEE's have Linux and solid state drives for starters.

They do have that you are right.

I was under the impression that the Linux was effectively 'Linux Lite' (in some ways) anyway. I must admit I had discounted that because if you are going to get Linux you might as well get the full version and no iTunes support.

The best way to choose between them is simply to go in to a store and try them out, most of the differences are cosmetic or down to the screen (resolution, size and matte/gloss) or battery.

It's a bad time to buy any of them though, Windows 7 is due out next month and there's a load of new hardware launching on the run up to Christmas.

Windows 7 is out next month but I have not heard even the faintest hint that Samsung are going to re-release with it, or even any definite plans for future netbooks beyond the N510.

What new hardware is due for release that you have heard of?

They do have that you are right.

I was under the impression that the Linux was effectively 'Linux Lite' (in some ways) anyway. I must admit I had discounted that because if you are going to get Linux you might as well get the full version and no iTunes support.

It depends which version of Linux the netbook ships with. Ubuntu is very capable, the only real disadvantage it has is incompatibility with some programs like iTunes. A lot of the other distros that ship with netbooks are pretty useless though.

Windows 7 is out next month but I have not heard even the faintest hint that Samsung are going to re-release with it, or even any definite plans for future netbooks beyond the N510.

What new hardware is due for release that you have heard of?

I've not heard any announcements concerning new Samsung machines but Lenovo, Asus, HP, Acer, Sony, MSI, Nokia, Archos and Toshiba all have new machines announced. Dell are also predicted to release a new machine (probably an ION-powered replacement to the Mini 10) before Christmas along with adding a Windows 7 option to their existing product line.

On the hardware front AMD's Congo platform is due to hit the market before Christmas with the launch of the Acer Ferrari One and Intel will release their Pinetrail platform (though it's unlikely that any manufacturers will get a Pinetrail-powered machine out this year). There's also whispers of Tegra and Snapdragon powered machines coming, but i've not seen any release dates mentioned other than "before the end of the year".

So as I said, bad time to buy :heh:

Edited by McPhee

Heh, thanks. I guess I had been quite narrowly focused on Samsung tech at the moment.

I cannot actually buy until November anyway.

It is just annoying not knowing for certain what will be around and what the prices will be. :-(

At least they are not having the stupid Windows 7 on netbooks can only run three programs at once thing anymore.