N-Europe

Cooling Fan Issues?

Mokong

Is there anyway to check the status of the cooling fan on my Laptop?

Or would there be like an on/off option that might have been toggled off?

twice today the laptop has turned itself off due to overheating and I don't I heard the fan even try to work... right now it's certainly not working... just wanna know if there's anyway to check it 1st before jumping the conclusion that it is broken.

Worse case situation, if it is broken... what does a new fan roughly cost... and would PC World charge me a shit load extra to install it? (or might it be an easy enough process for me to switch in a new myself?)

Or might I be better off buying a new laptop? (current laptop 3-4 years old... was considering formatting and doing a system restore as it is getting slow, in hopes of speeding it up... trying to avoid shelling out the cash for a new one)

Don't go to PC World, go to a independent shop. It shouldn't be much.

Download a program called Speedfan. It will give you the temps, post them.

ok, i'm trying that, small problem... when i go to configure > fans

it asks me to select a fan... but there's no fan options in the box? it's like I have no fan :wtf: WTF?

I'm just after turning the laptop back on after waiting for it to cool down... the temps went up to 57 and 100 with a fire image next to them... the fan still didn't turn on, so i shut down and left it for awhile to cool down

haha.... made an attempt to open the laptop to try get a look at the fan... after removing all the screws and the bottom still not coming off without seeming like it would snap I put back in all the screws, turned it on and the fan started spinning... maybe it was just stuck when I was undoing the screws on the casing somehow unstuck the fan?

Although it sounds a little louder or higher pitch hum than before... or maybe that's just cuz I'm more aware of it now, haha... either way it's working so no more overheating, yay