N-Europe

HDMI to VGA

Yeah, HDMI is digital and VGA is analogue but hear me out.

So recently my bro got a Dell 2209WA which only has DVI and VGA ports on the back. He'll be using the DVI port with his new Mac but he also wants to use the monitor with his PS3.

I found this device called the HDfury. Bit too expensive just to be able to use his ps3 on his monitor.

He then came across this cable.

Massive difference in price, yes, but I have a feeling that the cheaper one just wouldn't work.

Can anyone enlighten me on how he could get this setup to work as cheap as possible without too much quality loss?

Ta muchly.

A better way to do it would be to get an HDMI to DVI adapter and just switch the two DVI cables around. Although that is a bit inconvenient. You can also get a Wii/PS3 VGA cable made by Mayflash. I haven't used it with a PS3 just with my Wii, but it works great with the Wii and I've heard it works better on a PS3. Just make sure you put a ferrite core on it so you don't get a shit load of noise.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zp-49-en-70-2jp6.html

Having to go round the back and switching a cable around each time he wants to play/go on pc is a major hassle. Want to avoid that as much as possible.

Reviews for that cable don't seem too promising, the ones saying it's good are the ones saying they've used it with a 360...

Edit: How much of a loss in quality would there be if one used a switcher box type thing? This would be quite convenient because HDMI to DVI is much easier to obtain, but a loss in quality is not what I want...

Edited by Pantsu Man!

That should work fine. I don't think there's any loss in quality since the HDMI IS DVI with audio basically, and its all digital. Just note that that switch box you linked to has Digital Coax, not Optical, so it will be harder to rout audio through it if you want to do that. Although, I'm assuming you're just going to hook the Optical on the PS3 directly into some sort of sound system, so if thats the case it shouldn't be a big deal.