N-Europe

Cheap Router?

Rummy

Some of you may remember my router(D-Link DI-524) having some silly wireless problems a while back, I apparently managed to fix this but upgrading the firmware, though now the router will randomly restart/reboot itself all by itself, which whilst being less frequent than the wireless drops were, is annoying and affects the whole network, wired and wireless. So basically I'm thinking to look to get a new one.

I don't know much about routers though! I'm presuming they all do the same job these days, and that they're all equally efficient, but does anyone know of a cheap, yet good, router? Basically just want to avoid getting a cheap one and finding it to be shit :(

(Also, dunno if it matters but it just needs to be a router, no modem and stuff built in, I'm on cable with a modem)

So far I'm looking at these two;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6753887/c_1/1|cat_12108629|Clearance+Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|12745918/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6750392/c_1/1%7Ccat_12108629%7CWireless+networking%7C12108636/c_2/2%7Ccat_12108636%7CCable+routers%7C12108641/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

Maybe this one if I can get my dad to put towards it;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6757340/c_1/1|cat_12108629|Wireless+networking|12108636/c_2/2|cat_12108636|Cable+routers|12108641/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

Guest Jordan

I'd have to agree with Choze.

Cheap routers are shit. They usually drop connections wired and wirelessly like nuts. Go Netgear or Linksys, they're usually the better two of the brands. Also 802.11 n is catching on, so eventually everything will end up using it.

It is that time of the year again when wireless on my router dies. The router sits on a windowsill where cable internet comes into the house. Unfortunatly it is also next to a computer cupboard and a bunch of wires to printers, monitor, tv, sky box...etc. So when someone wants to pull out all of the cables it creates a problem. I plug everything in where it needs to go and restart the internet (unplug modem and router, wait 2 minutes, plug modem, wait for lights, plug router). Now the wireless only broadcasts on and off and nothing is able to connect to it (PS3, iPhone and Laptop). I've restarted the internet and router a few times, checked all settings, reset all of the security and reset the router from the button at the back of the unit. Any help?

• 1 month later...

Bit of a bump, router has finally given its last packet(well no, not really), but the thing is kaputt and just will not discover my modem, or it keeps losing it(it's cable and says DHCP discover in log, I try releasing, renewing, nothing works) and so this is now relevant, I'm just wondering as tech seems to move so fast now and I can't keep up, are these still good routers for their price? Probably looking at that Buffalo Nfiniti one tbh, £40 and seems to have a generally positive reception from the reviews I've found?