N-Europe

Sharing media in WMP, sharing with another comp?

Rummy

Ohi. I have Vista on my laptop, I have lots of music on there too. I have the latest WMP on it as well. I have a recently appeared PC(XP) which I'm apparently not allowed to install or put anything on, too. I use it sparsely, but decided whilst I do I wish to listen to my music, but here comes my problem.

I already have sharing setup on the laptop, and in fact use it to stream my media to my X360, that all works well and fine. Today I came onto this PC and opened media player(V11), can't figure out how to make it 'see' the laptop. I dunno if I have to do something on the laptop or the computer or what. So I nosed around the sharing settings on here in WMP, and it 'saw' my laptop after a few seconds and I selected it as an option to share music with, so I set it up like that. However, it seems I'm sharing this PC's media(which is like nothing) with the laptop, and not vice versa. I tried the same on the laptop, but it doesn't 'see' this PC to give me the option to share its media with it! It's bloody annoying, because it's clearly not totally broken, and it can share media, but it's sharing it in the opposite bloody direction to what I want!

In order to see your laptop on WMP you dont need to set any settings except 'see media that other people are sharing' in sharing options. Then you should just access your network through windows explorer and you should be able to see your laptop's media. Double click it to start playing it.

Hmm, maybe it's an XP thing, because I have just looked in both my WMPs, and on my laptop it does have that option to 'see media that other people are sharing' as well as 'share my media to' whereas on this XP comp it only has the 'share my media to' option. How rather very annoying. I'd noticed the windows site and help etc kept referring to sharing with another Vista comp, but I thought it might be ok with XP as it had the sharing option. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be able to work from XP, though.

EDIT: So basically, I can share XP -> Vista, but not Vista -> XP, which is what I want to do. I also have no option to see media other people are sharing, in WMP11 on WindowsXP.

Edited by Rummy

OK I just booted into XP on my laptop and all I did was press start > my network places and there was all the music being shared on my network... Maybe you need to set the workgroup to be the same? Right click on my computer > properties > computer name > change workgroup name. Make the workgroup the same on both computers. The vista default is just WORKGROUP.

Edit: you could also try tversity for sharing media.

Edited by Shorty

Yeah they're both in Workgroup, but on my laptop I didn't have file sharing turned on just media sharing which I expected would be enough as it shares with the xbox with no problems at all. I was trying to get it working just through WMP to WMP and keep it all there, but it seems it's doomed to not work for some shitty reason or another. I never explicity shared a music folder with my network y'see, I did it through WMP's media sharing thing which shares everything in the media library, or something.

I can set up my Vista laptop to share files to my XP comp if I stick them in the public folder(tho it only works when I turn off password required sharing) so for now I'm just gonna do it like that, I think. I don't see why it doesn't work WMP to WMP though, and why this is all such an effort to do!