NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

SYN Flood and wireless dropping on router?

Tis me again, with a problem I don't particularly compherehend and may not be related/exist but I think it is. Anyhoos, I use a D-Link DI-524 and recently(a few weeks back) my wiresless started dropping off my laptop for no good reason. I don't think anything has been changed on my router, nor on my laptop, and I couldn't figure out why, except that I keep seeing in my router's log around the time it's happening 'SYN Flood Detect, Packet Dropped'.

This means little to me, and I've tried to understand but don't see why it'd make my wireless drop out. I googled a bit and found someone with a very similar scenario but there was no answer, and most of the other things I read seemed to be different situations or might have been the same but I didn't understand all the mumbojumbo the techies were talking, things like UPnP, VPN, etc etc.

Though on the latter note, my UPnP and VPN(I very shallowly understand either) seems to be turned on on my router, would turning them off have any negative affects for my web usagings? Like, do any specific kind of apps need them??

I was getting flood detection on my belkin router when I was using sites like Google maps, Deviantart and also when I was using torrents. I think it's something to do with having a mass of connections appear all at once (dunno the tech term).

I fixed it by going into my routers hidden/advanced settings and adjusting some number. (Something to do with number TCP connections I think - I just set it to the max.)

At present, I'm using none of those(and haven't for a while) so I'm still confused but I could try it if I knew more?

Dropped a few times today, looking at the log, I drop, reconnect, and then there are 4/5 SYN Flood Packet Drops on my router's log AFTER i've managed to reconnect. I don't have to diagnose/repair or that(which i've tried numerous times) I only just disconnect and then my laptop automatically reconnects by itself and it always has full access. Otherwise what happens is it simply tells me that the internet is dropped(if you know the Vista network icon, it has a little globe to show internet access), and the globe isn't there but it's connected and on highlight says connected with limited connectivity etc.

Dunno if any of that helps shed any further light on things...

I have this router, and after using wireless for awhile, I slowly came to the conclusion that the router just blows so I now used wired. Now I gets no problems.

Haha, I did used to have some wireless problems, but after what's now a good...3 and a half years? The DI-524 does a fairly good job on the whole, if anything it's better now than it used to be...except this dropping problem. It's been happening less recently, but still appears to coincide rather alot with SYN floods, I think only once I checked it and saw none in the log. Gots me rather confused! I'd go wired, but it's a bit of a bastard setup given my current housial location in relation to router, it'd be a pain to run wires.

Sign in to follow this