N-Europe

Problem with Backup Software

Emasher

My grandparents bought an external HDD that came with [crappy] backup software called redemption. It seemed to install fine but when I tried to run it I started getting all these weird errors, like "Windows has recovered from a serious error" ect. and the computer has even been restarting itself. I've tried re-installing the software, ect. Nothing really seems to be working. I'm thinking there's probably a problem with the internal HDD, but I could be wrong. And suggestions?

My grandparents bought an external HDD that came with [crappy] backup software called redemption. It seemed to install fine but when I tried to run it I started getting all these weird errors, like "Windows has recovered from a serious error" ect. and the computer has even been restarting itself. I've tried re-installing the software, ect. Nothing really seems to be working. I'm thinking there's probably a problem with the internal HDD, but I could be wrong. And suggestions?

Internal/external?

Deinstall the software would be the first try. (free software tends to be fail - long gone are the days of full packages bundled with hardware)

Is it restarting on bootup? If so unplug it while it is booting, sometimes the computer will try to boot off the external (obviously not being able to do anything) you can manually configure it to not do that through teh bios.

If the external disk works with windows explorer its likely to be a clash with the OS and the software.

If its internal set it to slave mode on the pin settings (i wasn't sure which you were meaning with the bolded parts)