N-Europe

Music files won't play?

Rummy

Ok, so earlier, I opened up winamp to listen to some musaks upon my craptop computeur(I dont normally listen to music on it due to the speakers being pants, and I can just stick the music channels on on TV). But anyway, my friend was doing her radio show and so she said she'd dedicate me a song to cheer me up, so I wanted to listen to it. I went to the site, got the feed, started streaming, all was well and good. This was about 20minutes before her slot. I then decided to run down and take the speakers off my currently defunct PC, so I could have some decent sound quality, so I did so and plugged them in. I noticed the sound was a bit crackly, so I wondered if it was just the stream.

I clicked through my current playlist, which is round from a while ago and had another radio stream in it, upon clicking one it sort of timed out and went onto the next file in the playlist, as if it couldn't find it. Ok, I thought, probs now dead or something. But then I clicked through to a song that was on my computer, and realised that it just wouldn't start playing! Like, it sort of does something, but then acts as if I stopped Winamp. I tried restarting my computer, didn't fix it. I then tried updating winamp, didn't fix it. Then I came downstairs to brawl, brought the laptop, the speakers, and decided to fire up my music on WMP, but when I try to play a playlist I have in WMP...it doesn't work! No files play, they all seem to have a problem playing! I tried the WMP help, it just took me to this link;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0.6001.7000&id=C00D11B1&contextid=87&originalid=88890008

Which was totally unhelpful, tbh. Nothing there applied to me. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening or got any ideas why? I'm running Pista btw.

EDIT:Forgot to add, youtube sound is fine, the little ding when I adjust sound is fine, MSN seems to have stopped dinging however.

I think this is Pista's fault. I was mosying round things, then tried to right click my sound icon then go for Playback Devices(which I did earlier, I swear) but then Windows said it detected a conflict or error due to the Audio Enhancements for my 'Speakers(Realtek Audio...)' I can't remember the exact name but basically it was the name of my speakers, or something. I'm mightily confused how this started, and how it's now fixed itself. I hope it stays fixed too, last week my speakers totally dissappeared and I had to do a system restore! But I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced this, or knows what causes it?

Sounds stupid but try a system restore. I also had a problem with sound once and that fixed it for me.

Not a stupid idea at all! Sometimes system restores are a nice, easy, and handy solution, I've turned to it a few times when thoroughly confused.