NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
fex

ISP (again)

Ok....I'm moving into a new flat in around a weeks time, and ever since dial up I've been with NTL, so I don't have a huge experience with anything other than cable broadband. Yet it looks un-likely that we would be able to have NTL installed. So I'm guess were going to have to use our phone line for the internet connection.

So I'm guessing the landline needs to be active (BT)?

Anyone recommend a nice cheap but reliable ISP, speed isn't a priority 2Mb would more than suffice.

Ideally, a free wireless router would be a bonus and it needs to be mac compatible.

thanks

Be and O2 are probably the cheapest and most reliable ISPs right now, assuming you're connected to an exchange which is enabled for them. To find out if you can get Be/O2 check http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php and put your phone number in (I think using your phone number is more accurate than postcode).

They both use the same network so the connection's reliability and speed should be pretty much the same no matter which of the two you go for. Be's Value package, if you sign up now, is £8/month for the rest of 2008 then £14/month after that with a £24 connection fee. O2's 8mbps deal is £12.50 a month (£7.50 if you're an O2 contract or payg customer) and I don't think there's a connection fee.

Both come with a free wireless router (with Ethernet so it should work with your Mac), 24/7 tech support (O2's is a free number based in the UK and probably the best customer services I've ever used, not sure how much Be's is but it's based in Bulgaria and I hear they're good too), a one year contract and unlimited usage with a fair usage policy although I've got friends who download 250GB+ a month and they've never run into problems.

If you're not connected to a Be/O2 enabled exchange then... uhhh... only thing I can suggest is pray your exchange is enabled soon :smile:

Sign in to follow this