N-Europe

Considering some upgrades

Shorty

Hey all,

I'm considering some upgrades, but I don't really follow the PC market so I don't know what's good. I'm not sure what I want to spend... (I know, that's annoying) but I was hoping people could prompt me on some good-value options and maybe some best-possible options.

I currently have:

GeForce 7600GT

2GB RAM

Core 2 Duo E6400

Vista 32bit

(sorted in order of most interested in upgrading)

my mobo is an ASUS P5VD2-MX and while I do like good modern PC gaming, I'm not looking to play any stupid-powerful games like Crysis.

any tips? :)

Thanks in advance.

Guest Jordan

Wait.

Honestly. Core i7 is due in 2 months which is blowing Core 2 out of the water in early tests. Also, the Radeon 4870 X2 is out in a month or two...

I'd say wait.

I'm going to be upgrading in october when Core i7 comes out although I'm going to be keeping my 8800GTS 512MB. The cheapest i7 will probably be around £180.

Anyway, you'd need a new motherboard for that and I'm sure you're not interested in spending that much on revamping an already very competent computer but I say, don't bother waiting. All you need is a new graphics card really so pick up a 4850 (£120) or a regular 4870 (£170) depending on your budget because the 4870 x2 is going to be pretty expensive and has a bad price/performance ratio when you compare them. You can also consider picking up another gigabyte of RAM or upgrading to Vista x64 and buying two. That will only cost around £30)

24b1dtv.png

Guest Jordan

The only real upside of the 4870 is the GDDR5 that comes with it, that RAM is blisteringly fast. I'm probably going to pick one of those up at this rate from looking at that chart.

Yeah I must say I don't really feel like my processor struggles or anything. And whilst I could upgrade my mobo to fit it, it does mean more cash (and more things to go wrong :heh:) so maybe I'll stick with the current one.

Just wondering, can you upgrade to 64bit vista for cheap, without rebuying the OS? Is it worth it? And if I did upgrade, what kind of RAM should I buy?

Will have to think over those graphics cards too :) thanks for the suggestions.

Your license keys work on both versions of Vista so all you'd need to do is reinstall. You don't have a disc but just download it, you're allowed to use the same license key which you legitimately bought so there shouldn't be a moral problem.

You want to get whatever RAM you have now. If you don't know you can either look at it and it should say somewhere or you can download Everest by Lavasys and it will tell you.

Guest Jordan

I thought it was a case of all versions of Vista come in 32bit flavour apart from Ultimate. Where you get given both 32bit and 64bit DVD's.

If you don't own Ultimate you have to buy the 64bit DVD off Microsoft (for like 1/4th of the price)... But if you have a legal serial, you could just "acquire" a DVD and use your real one.

Actually, I've just had a thought, my motherboard has caused a lot of issues for me, the drivers for the PCI-to-PCI bridge reinstall themselves every time I start windows, as well as the sound card, wireless card and TV card. After formatting my PC and getting new components I can only assume it's the mobo's fault. So maybe it would be worth replacing that? But at this point it's almost like I need a new PC... I mean, I also want a new (bigger) monitor -_-

*closed myself in anticipation of a new thread*