NEurope
Jimbob

Upgrading Processor

I'm thinking about upgrading my current AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor to a AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 6000+ processor. The specs of my board are as follows:

Untitled1111111.jpg

I'm not too sure if the new processor will be compatible with the motherboard. Also, my graphics card is built into the board, would this be a problem if i added a new card. It would probably be a nVidia GeForce 8400GS or a 7200GS

Current Card: nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Any Suggestions?

Edit: CPU Details

Untitled111111.jpg

You're lucky to have bought the first CPU batch with the latest sockets.

If you upgrade your BIOS to the latest version, you should probably be able to have a 6000+ run in it. No need to update your GPU, going from a 6150 to 8400 won't at all improve if you're not gaming or watch a lot of HD content.

You're lucky to have bought the first CPU batch with the latest sockets.

If you upgrade your BIOS to the latest version, you should probably be able to have a 6000+ run in it. No need to update your GPU, going from a 6150 to 8400 won't at all improve if you're not gaming or watch a lot of HD content.

So the CPU can be upgraded no problem, which is nice. May leave the GPU alone, but may change it as it seems to be unable to run the Vista layout half the time. Had to change my layout to the classic.

So the CPU can be upgraded no problem, which is nice. May leave the GPU alone, but may change it as it seems to be unable to run the Vista layout half the time. Had to change my layout to the classic.

You said your graphics is currently integrated, Ie the monitor plug goes into the motherboard, ne? If its unable to run vista aero, I very much doubt you have a separate card, so go for an upgrade dude. :awesome:

You said your graphics is currently integrated, Ie the monitor plug goes into the motherboard, ne? If its unable to run vista aero, I very much doubt you have a separate card, so go for an upgrade dude. :awesome:

It can run Vista Aero interface, just poorly. I have spoken to the ICT guys in my work and they told me to get a separate card as the current one leeches my RAM. He also told me that integrated GPU doesn't work effectively with Vista. I ordered a separate card and a new CPU (the dual core), both for £60 together off Ebuyer.

Well, if you're not in a hurry, you should probably wait for a passively cooled Radeon HD4450 or get a HD3450. The Radeons perform slightly better and have superior HD content decoding compared to the 8400.

A quick note about the CPU though - the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ is manufactured with a 90nm process has a thermal design power of 125 watt, which is pretty steep. You might want to consider the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition - it's a few pounds cheaper, has a more recent processor stepping, is manufactured on a 65 nm process, and only sucks 65 watt. All that technical mumbo jumbo means it's much better. The only downside it has is that it is clocked 400 MHz slower than the 6000+, but the fact that it's a Black Edition means it can be easily overclocked, well past 6000+ speeds if you need.

Well, if you're not in a hurry, you should probably wait for a passively cooled Radeon HD4450 or get a HD3450. The Radeons perform slightly better and have superior HD content decoding compared to the 8400.

A quick note about the CPU though - the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ is manufactured with a 90nm process has a thermal design power of 125 watt, which is pretty steep. You might want to consider the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition - it's a few pounds cheaper, has a more recent processor stepping, is manufactured on a 65 nm process, and only sucks 65 watt. All that technical mumbo jumbo means it's much better. The only downside it has is that it is clocked 400 MHz slower than the 6000+, but the fact that it's a Black Edition means it can be easily overclocked, well past 6000+ speeds if you need.

I ordered the 5000+ processor instead, still runs a lot faster than the old one.

Yeah, going dual core always makes a big difference :smile:

You could probably get it running at 3 GHz (6000+ speed) by simply upping the multiplier to 15.