N-Europe

N64 Week: Day 1 - Goldeneye

Fierce_LiNk

This game was special. In fact I would go further than that, it was probably one of the best, if not the best game fo all time.

I remember booting it up for the first time, the way presentation was awesome, the sound was brilliant and the graphics were mindblowing. The first time the camera panned through the Dam Level and then behind Bond's head taking you then into first person view I was gobsmacked.

Cycling through the controls I found one where I looked with the analogue stick and moved left, right, forward and backward with the C-Buttons, just like in Turok. As I took my first steps into the game it was clear that it was something truly exceptional.

For once it wasn't a matter of blasting crude sprites anywhere you could hit them to collect a number of different coloured keys. Each level could be attempted in different ways with different objectives, and as new difficulty levels were attempted new objectives were added.

Guards ran for cover, set off alarms, hid behind boxes and crates. Better still they reacted to where they had been shot. It was no longer a matter of just running in shooting anything and everything. Instead results were far more satisfying if you learned a guard's pattern only to shoot him in the back of the head with a silenced pistol as he passed you.

As the levels progressed the game just got better and better. 20 levels of fantastic gaming. Each one laying out different objectives, each one offering you many many ways to play. Who doesn't remember how great it was using the sniper rifle for the first time, or running into a fire fight a fully loaded RCP90?

Then there was the multiplayer - it was probably the best multiplayer of it's era. Amazing in every way and so very socialable. I can remember sitting up into the early hours with my mats on many occasions.

This is just a quick flash back of how great that game was, I could go on all day, remembering the Dam, the Facility and chase through the streets in the tank.

Thank you Rare, and thank you N64 for truly one of the greatest games of all time!