NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Emasher

Wii -> DVI

What's the cheapest way to get my Wii connected to a DVI monitor? I will also need a cable/adapter, to switch the audio over to headphones.

I don't have any of the required cables at this point.

Doubt you can do it. A DVI port on the monitor itself is likely digital signal only (don't know that for sure), and there's no way for the Wii to output a digital signal (know that for sure).

Don't you have an open VGA port? That's way easier. If your computer occupies the port, it's way easier to connect your computer to the DVI port than the Wii.

I've converted VGA to DVI before though. Or is that just if the VGA is outputting in Digital. I haven't bought any monitor yet so perhaps I'll look for one with Analogue(?)

Edit: Had a chance to search around. It is possible but most say its better using component cables and a Component -> DVI adapter.

I'll probably buy the official component cables unless someone can recommend a cheap but good 3rd party set, and I'll also need to get a Component -> DVI adapter. I no longer need any cables for sound though.

Not really sure what you're getting on about there Emash.

But basically:

PC: VGA or DVI (Analog or Digital)

Wii: VGA only (Analog only)

Even better get a monitor with component?

I've got a Wii DVI Cable that I'd be willing to sell...

41yXKV6NPbL._SS500_.jpg

Bought one before the Wii came out but never used it. :/ It's probably the best ting to use if you want to connect it to a monitor and the easiest to convert if you want to connect it to VGA.

It's an official one and I think it cost £20 - 23 new when I bought it and it's in the same new condition still in it's box :P anyway it's your for £15 inc postage if you want it.

That's not a DVI cable ^, it's VGA if anything. DVI connectors look different. Nintendo hasn't released a DVI cable as far as I'm aware, and the output module of the Wii isn't capable of outputting a digital signal.

Your best chances to connect to a monitor is either buy one with component inputs, or buy a regular DVI one and connect your PC to DVI instead of your Wii. If your PC is old, you may need to check if your graphics card has a DVI out.

Hmm well it's a D-terminal cable and I'm pretty sure it's similar, anyway if it's of any use to anyone I'm willing to sell it.

Okay, that explains it. Wikipedia says it's a Japanese standard that carries component video.

That's not a DVI cable ^, it's VGA if anything. DVI connectors look different. Nintendo hasn't released a DVI cable as far as I'm aware, and the output module of the Wii isn't capable of outputting a digital signal.

Your best chances to connect to a monitor is either buy one with component inputs, or buy a regular DVI one and connect your PC to DVI instead of your Wii. If your PC is old, you may need to check if your graphics card has a DVI out.

I'm actually on a Mac that I know can drive a much bigger monitor than I'll be buying. Though the monitor will mostly be hooked up to that, the gaming thing is sort of a bonus.

This monitor does DVI and Analogue. Will it work?

Almost all monitors come with DVI/VGA inputs now, so analogue probably means VGA yes :smile:

Check out vdigi.com for the Wii <> VGA cable. It'll take some time to arrive, but the quality is awesome.

Seeing as I've been playing on a scratched up old curved screened piece of shit for the last I don't know how many years, the quality of the VGA cable isn't quite as important to me as the price at the moment. Out of curiosity, does it come with a setup cable or will I need to do it blind.

Oh, I forgot to post the link. I'm not sure if its quite what I said as my earlier post was meant to have the link in it.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10089669&catid=25074&logon=&langid=EN

Edit:

From the official site.

PC :15 Pin D-sub (VGA), DVI-D (HDCP)

Yeah, it has VGA (it's the D-Sub connector alright).

It's a shame you're in Canada and can't profit from the ridicilously cheap US dollar at the moment. Shipping makes the total about $50 :hmm:

Also, before I forget, because the cable is a bit weird, you need a standard VGA cable (it's like $2) to finish the connection to your monitor and a RCA to audio jack converter to connect speakers if you don't have a home cinema system.

The other alternative is to get a component to VGA converter, or find out if your monitor will accept a Yb Pb Pr signal (if it does then you just need an adaptor).

I'll probably get the cable I linked to though. It comes with another cable I need anyway.

Sign in to follow this