NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
scubahood

Internet keeps stopping

Hey guys got a little problem that has popped up in the past week. Basically i'm connected to our wireless network via a usb dongle its literally been fine for the past four years and now all of a sudden the internet keeps stopping. It still stays connected to the network the whole time but i'll be loading a website or on msn messenger and it will sign me out all of a sudden or stop loading the site. Then you give it 20 or 30 seconds and it works again. I've tried buying a new usb dongle and its still doing the same thing. Also I have other devices that I use the wireless network such as xbox 360, ipod touch and my n95 and these all still work without a hitch. Any suggestions? cheers in advance

Is the router on its way to internet heaven?

Updated drivers recently? Or windows update?

I'm pretty certain its not the router as all other devices work fine. Haven't updated the drivers or anything.

I'm pretty certain its not the router as all other devices work fine. Haven't updated the drivers or anything.

I had a belkin dongle back in the day we had wireless and it caused me nothing but bloody grief! Sounds very similar to your problem. It just seemed to fall off my system and it didn't work at all... :shakehead

All I can suggest is to try and delete then update the drivers.

Is your dongle on a USB extension cord or do you just have it plugged into the pc directly?

I have it directly plugged in its odd had the old one for years with no problems . Its strange cause it never loses the connection to the router just the net. Is it possible to reinstall all of windows networking drivers?

Aye mine was the same, run for a good year. In the end I had a wire routed through the house because no matter what I did it refused to work. If you've had the dongle a while it could have just died..unfortunately. Dongles are shitty in general. An internal pci one would probably work better.

You only need to reinstall the drivers for the wireless USB adaptor not all the network connections on your pc. (As some of them will be the wired port things)

You sure its absolutely fine on all other machines. I had a problem that sounds very similar. The Internet company dug up the cable and found out that it was wearing out.

Though there's a good chance it is the dongle so like Raining_Again said just get a PCI card or run an ethernet cable.

Sign in to follow this