N-Europe

Right, Ebay Help.

Caris

Okay guys, I'm putting my iMac on Ebay. So as it's an expensive item i want to clear some things up first. That's where you lot come in.

I haven't sold anything on Ebay for years so I'm totally lost on how it all works, and i don't want to do something wrong cause t could be a costly little mistake so...

How does VAT work? Do i have to do anything specific for it?

Ebay and Paypal charges, how much are they? I don't want to get jipped from them at the end of my auction without knowing.

Also, once it's sold, say it breaks after a few weeks of the new users ownership (It shouldn't but anything can happen) am i liable or not?

If there's anymore i'll let you lot know.

Edit: Thought of one, I'm gonna offer the item as pick up only. Is there just an option i choose when making the auction?

Ta.

Guest Jordan

Since you're not a business, you don't have to charge VAT. Alot of ebayers will not buy from people who charge VAT. Its actually a pretty under hand technique some sellers use, even if they're not VAT registered.

Don't pay for large or several pictures, don't pay for top page etc. As for it breaking, theres nothing you can do. If you sold it in working condition they can't do anything. However, you would have to prove you didn't sell something faulty.

You can use html to include as many pictures as you like, can't you? Make sure you have high quality pictures and a simple description that's not hiding anything. I wouldn't pay for anything extra like bold text or top-of-page listing or whatever. People look for few bids, decent starting prices, pictures etc..

You have to pay ebay fees, one for listing and another percentage of the final amount, they're all listed here.

Withdrawl fees for paypal are free if you're withdrawing over £50 so no problems there. But make sure all your paypal stuff is verified, your account, credit/debit card, address, etc.

Ah yeah there's seperate tables for technology, ok let's figure this out

£600 sale

5.25% of the initial £29.99 (£1.57)

3.00% of the initial £30.00 - £99.99 (£2.10)

2.50% of the initial £100.00 - £199.99 (£2.50)

2.00% of the initial £200.00 - £299.99 (£2.00)

1.50% of the initial £300.00 - £599.99 (£4.50)

= £12.67

plus 1.00% of the remaining balance of the final selling price

Well I'm not sure if that means 1% of £600 or 1% of (600-fees so far), so assuming the latter it's 1% of 587.33 which is obviously £5.87

Making the fee a total of £18.54

That link Strider posted probably would've done that for me, but this was fun.