N-Europe

Laptop randomly died?

Charlie

My brother's just phoned me to say his laptop just randomly switched off and now won't go back on again. He's taken the battery out and tried to turn it on whilst plguged in to the wall etc. He said an error popped up just before it went off and before that the wireless button light went out.

Any ideas what could be wrong with it? It was plugged into the wall at the time so I thought a power surge or something but everything else in the flat is working fine...

Has something on the motherboard randomly died? It's only 18 months old so it should be fine... It's a Compaq laptop of some sort...

Assuming he didn't drop it, bang it against a wall or give it any other kind of impact damage my next guess would be that it's overheated.

Leave it for a couple of hours and try again.

It shouldn't be a power surge, that would only kill the power supply and the battery would still be fine.

He took it to a computer shop the morning afterwards, showed them that it wasn't working. Then the guy in the shop turned it over and had a look at the bottom, then tried it again and it worked...

Weird. Doesn't sound like it was overheating as it was left overnight and then still didn't work in the morning.