N-Europe

XP Home edition - lack of multicore support?

CoolFunkMan

I upgraded my PC a few months back to play games like Bioshock, TF2 and Crysis at their best. My comps processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6420. However, after a tech problem, I had to send my computer to a repair shop, and I ended up having to get XP Home (with service pack 2 installed.)

I recently heard an unnerving peice of information that's me worried about my system. I've heard that multicore support is limited to the Pro version of XP, so my system is currently only using one of the two cores. Is this true? If so, is there an option where I can get both cores running (that preferably doesn't end with me buying Vista)?

Thanks if anyone can help...

From Wiki:

Support for two physical central processing units (CPU). The number of CPU cores and Hyper-threading capabilities on modern CPUs are considered to be part of a single physical processor, therefore multicore CPUs will work fine under XP Home Edition.[4][5]

ie: 1 CPU with 2 or more cores = fine, but more than 2 physical CPU's = no way.

Vista SP1 isn't going to be adding any significant features or improvements anyway, its just going to be a consolidation of updates and a couple of stability updates that will have no major bareing on anything.

I am planning to upgrade to vista sometime soon anyway (after Christmas/early next year sounds right.) Plus upgrade option, via download from Microsoft's site, sounds tempting.

I'm unsure which version I should get though. Home Premium sounds interesting, plus it's cheap (for a Microsoft OS anyway), but I've heard that Ultimate is the only really decent one.