N-Europe

wii on lcd HDTV question

marcel

Hey everyone,

I'm reading all over the internet about how HDTV owners would like the wii to upscale to 720p, why is that. Isn't it so that every HDTV upscales the image to there native resolution or is there a difference in picture quality.

Please explain it to me.

thanks in advance

The problem is at the moment the Wii sends out a standard 480p signal. This is the same sort of quality as DVDs. Most new LCD TVs work at 720p so the TV takes this signal and invents all the extra lines on information needed to fill its 720p display.

This problem can't be solved unless Nintendo launch a new 720p capable Wii and all new games are native to 720p.

The reason why people are asking for the Wii to upscale the 480p signal to 720p is because cheaper TVs are very bad at upscaling. If the Wii took on the upscaling work then people may, or may not, see a drastic improvement in picture quality

At the end of the day though this isn't really a very good fix and it is unlikely that the Wii has enough processing power to run a game and upscale at the same time. The solution i'd recommend is to either stick with a CRT TV or, if you need a HDTV for something else (like 360, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD) then buy a Plasma screen.