NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Excelle

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008

All depends on how it plays to me. If you can swing the wiimote like a real golf club, then it could be great. If it's like golf in Wii Sports, then it can piss off. I used to play real golf a lot, and I'm really fussy over the games I play.

Images do seem to be a bit sharper , but the thing that is putting me off a purchase is the likelihood that this will again be too easy.

7.1 in IGN Review:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/816/816464p1.html

What caught my eye was in the breakdown scores, they say that the graphics are "Sill unchanged from its predecessor, plain and simple. PS2-like in every respect" and yet they give graphics a 7.0... If the graphics are PS2-like in every respect, then give them a 4.0 or less, goddamnit.

Agreed. The GameCube was clearly more powerful than the PS2, so the Wii having PS2 graphics is unacceptable.

Got a review copy from EA, so far, I'm impressed. Absolutely no quabbles with the controls, they seem to function perfectly and add alot to the experience. There's so much to do I can't believe it, the load screens are super fast which really helps not break up the gameplay and it's just really fun and a great pass time.

The graphics are passable though, but I'm not honestly that bothered about graphics so I guess I can forgive that, at least until next years edition. I'm not even a golf fan and I can enjoy this game, although I'll probably get bored quick anyone who enjoys golf simply must get this game.

Should have my view review posted tommorow, so I'll give you all a link when it happens.

Yeah I agree with you there on everything I think Jammy- I've had a few minor problems with the controls but its happened when I swing really quickly but its very rare. One thing I do find a bit annoying is that I skew alot of shots right but find it difficult to hook em left, seemingly no matter what I do!

Create a golfer is deadly though, took me yonks and he doesn't really look like me and has a hint of Clive Owen about him from some angles. Its a good job you can go back and edit the appearance at any time. You're right about there being an absolute ton of things to do- I've only done the first section of things on the beehive like Tiger Challenge bit.

Good/ great game but I wish you could play online and/ or trade your custom golfers.

Hm I like the look of the site.. good review too. it's fair.. But I much prefer the graphics of colourful cartoon style games to this.. i mean i think wii golf looks better not to mention pangya.

Hm I like the look of the site.. good review too. it's fair.. But I much prefer the graphics of colourful cartoon style games to this.. i mean i think wii golf looks better not to mention pangya.

Yeah, but you can hardly expect the EA Tiger Woods game to not be anything but realistic.

EA really need to sort themselves out for next year edition, there's alot missing and it almost feels like EA are purposefully stalling progress so every year there are good reasons for fans to buy it. They really can't add alot more then online and improve the graphics, right?

Nice all-angle review jammy2211! You mentioned other golf games coming out in the next year, which ones are there?

Nice all-angle review jammy2211! You mentioned other golf games coming out in the next year, which ones are there?

Between now and the next Tiger Woods:

King of Clubs

Super Swing golf 2

We Love golf

Leaderboard Golf

We Love Golf is the one I'm expecting to be the best on the system. Although Tiger Woods 09 probably will be pretty good too.

I held off buying 07 when i heard 08 was just around the corner (5 months away). I too was hoping for on-line - its exclusion is really annoying considering how perfect golf is for on line what with lag not being a problem.

The controls in Tiger 08 are great, i've had a few sessions where i've had to put trainers on as my feet get sore standing up for four hours straight - i think that is a testament to how well the game plays.

Graphics look okay but on my widescreen it still has the black bars which i have to stretch out with the TV settings. And its not progressive-scan which makes it look bit blurry. They're still using the oooooold tiger engine and seem not be improving it at all. As Jammy said, they are holding back on what they fix each year, but this makes tiger look rough on anything but a CRT.

Forgetting the graphics for a minute, my golfing mate came round the other day and fooking loved it. Its just a shame they didnt do the most basic of graphical improvements - 16:9 and progressive scan.

Also - a question for anyone that has it: is it possible to export your golfer to another wii? I think you could do that in previous Ps2 versions. I dont think it can be done, but it will be a real shame if you can't somehow take your golfer to your mate's house and instead have to use one of the standard-issue players on their machine.

Any details about Leaderboard? I remember being completely in awe at the PC version back in the early 90's with its digitised trees & speech.

I picked this up yesterday - great fun! Although I did spend a good couple of hours battling to make a representation of myself in Game Face :)

I've not owned a Tiger Woods game before, so this has been a real experience for me. So much content! :yay:

But are the swing mechanics any good? I see a lot of people saying they're improved from the 07 version, but I still haven't seen anyone (professional or not) give a detailed description of the quality of the controls.

I'll still not get this, because I really didn't want something with PS2 graphics.... And since we have a TW game every year, I'll have plenty of opportunities to get a good one, with the best controls and better graphics.

The graphics are bad but not terrible the problem is the fonts look so squashed like it was ported from the PSP.. they made a better effort with Fifa 08 apparently.

The fonts in Godfather are kinda rubbish too. Only when I bought the RGB cable did they become somewhat readable.

The font was unreadable on '07 and different cables didn't improve things much.

Good to see that EA have taken the time to rectify this [/sarcasm].

Hey guys I just got the game, in the tutorial they said something about twisting the remote left or right to make a curved shot, I was able to do it, now I can never do it! What the hell am I doing wrong? I kind of need to understand it to do the review, because I did it in the tutorial the first time, now I cant do it anymore. Help please?

Hellfire,

first, make sure you are in 'advanced' swing mode (game doesn't help you out as much and hence lets you suffer the 'mistakes' of a draw shot... handy if you actually mean to do it! If i play with a lower rating than advanced, i find it very difficult to draw or fade)

secondly, if you are right-handed and want to 'draw' the ball left - point the wiimote down. hold the trigger. twist the 'mote about 45 degrees towards the left. Swing while holding this angle.

It should work. When trying out the swings i noticed that, as a right-hander, i naturally seem to 'fade' when i'm pulling back, but this does not translate into an accidental fade on the actual shot. I think there must be a well thought-out tolerance for some accidental drawing or fading.

BTW, i notice that its a lot more likely to hit a hook shot when coming off of rough or using a wedge (just as it is a lot easier to go way over your power meter on the wedge shots. 125 percent... the only time i get this number in the game)

Overall i like the fact that its not as easy to come up with the 'exact' shot you need. On previous console versions it becomes a wee bit tedious as you can repeatedly get the perfect shot.. and you get angry if you don't. As my mate who played it the other day said after hitting a nasty hook into nowhereland: "shit, i do that in real life". It takes patience and practice, which i think is great.

Thanks a lot man, I'll try that tomorrow. It just seemed odd since I did it in the tutorial, didn't change any option and never did it again.

I rushed it a little anyway.

Sign in to follow this