NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Arragaun

Keylogger problem.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this:

Norton turned up a file called 'keylogger' in system32. I don't know much but judging by this website SpyingWankers.inc (the makers of the program) this keylogger file is a bad thing for me. Is this shit legal? Is it possible to track whoever put it there? Can I uninstall it easily?

Any advice would be welcomed with open arms.

A Keylogger as you probably have guessed logs all the keys you press. Normally the data is covertly sent back to the virus or spyware vendor, via your internet. With this they could say log onto your online bank account as they know your password...etc. Or something that trivial. Normally its used for research purposes - so they can find out what sort of things you look at. Perhaps for R and D for their latest web page or product. So usally its used by big faceless organisations to help make money. The bank account thing is rarly used because thats easily stopped.

Norton should be able to remove it, if not you could try getting Adaware or some spyware scanner. I think its more spyware then virus.

Cheers, I'll try Ad-Aware on it, and it's sort of comforting to know that I'm probably not gonna get get stolen from. It's gotta go though.

Right, er, Ad-Aware didn't detect it and Norton keeps failing to delete it as well. I've tried changing the name of the app to make it unusable and I changed the extension on the other file too (formerly keylogger.dll). Is there anything else I can try?

This site is great. Its free and it combines constantly updated virus scan, virus removal and spyware removal (including keyloggers).

I just took my own advice and the site removed 47 odd spyware files off my comp. So they must have just updated their engine.

Yeah I tried a manual delete but it reads as 'access denied: make sure the disc isn't write protected or trying to scam you'. I'll give that site ago Pit, cheers.

hold up, it says "trying to scam you"? or are you just para-phrasing?

if you can't delete stuff, i've heard going into safe mode will take away the retrictions you have... but im pretty sketchy on the fact.

Yup. Thats what you have to do.

Its denying access because the program is still running. Naturally its still resident in the background. Go into safemode by pressing either F8 or it might be F10 on Window boot-up. Just keep stabbing it until a screen comes up asking you.

Then...select safemode and try removing it again.

Sign in to follow this