NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stewilo2005

DEP codec problem.

Recently i installed Final Fantasy 7 for the pc. It also installed the duck coorporation true motion codec with it. Without it the fmv's don't work. Right so here's my problem. When ever i go into a folder with .avi files DEP appears and closes explorer. I've scanned for viruses, adware and spyware and there's nothing there. This DEP problem always appears when i install a new codec that relates to .avi files. Previous times i have just uninstalled the codecs but this duck codec hasn't got an uninstall file. I don't know where it is. Really I want to have whatever codec i want installed without this DEP problem. I've tried disabling DEP for players but thats no good.

Found this in winXP help. Don't know if it will help.

To turn Data Execution Prevention on or off for a program

If you turn off Data Execution Prevention (DEP) for a specific program, it might become vulnerable to attack. A successful attack could then spread to other programs on your computer, to your contacts, and damage your personal files. If you suspect that a program does not run correctly when DEP is turned on, check for a DEP-compatible version or update from the software publisher before you change any DEP settings.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1. To open System Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
  2. Click the Advanced tab and, under Performance, click Settings.
  3. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
  4. In the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select list, do one of the following:
    • To turn off DEP for a program, select the check box next to the program name and click OK. (If the name of the program doesn't appear in the list, click Add, navigate to your Program Files folder, select the program's executable file which will have an .exe file extension, and click OK). – or –

• To turn on DEP for a program, clear the check box next to the program name, and then click OK.

Sign in to follow this