N-Europe

5G iPod (With Video) - My Thoughts

CVD

Well it came today, which is superb. Plugged it in my computer and the thing froze itself, yes the first thing I did was break it. The stupid thing locked itself and wouldn't unlock, luckily using the menu + central button restart it fixed it.

So I finally got it working (relief, I tell ya) and put Final Fantasy VII Advent Children on and a Slipknot song to test it. The screen is fantasically clear, the movie itself was of small resolution and so it looks perfect, I watched a few minutes as my battery died, I know understand why there is only 2 hours capacity of movie watching. The thing I'm pleased with most is the volume, unlike my brothers iPod mini, this thing has no cap and is fantasically loud and clear.

The size of the screen is great, I really can't fault it there, the size and feel is great. Thing I queery most is the metallic back which gets lots of fingerprints on it and looks a bit grubby after a few touches.

Other than my slip up, I really rate the 5th Generation iPod and its by far the best digital music player I've ever experienced. Top quality.

[i'll add to this review tomorrow, I'm going out tonight and have had about a 20 minutes whirl]

Edit -

Having most of this morning and a bit of this evening tinkering about with my iPod, I can add to the review. Putting songs onto the iPod doesn't differ, simple iTunes transfer. Easy peasy.

I have now tried another video, this one is a music video that came with Disturbed's album Ten Thousan Fists, the album was bought off iTunes and the video was downloaded along with the songs. Fantastic quality, I can really see myself downloading lots of music videos because they're incredibly clear, I thought it would be worse than what it is, bravo Apple.

I haven't tried a home movie (my camera makes .mov files) but I can imagine they're just as good. I haven't tried photos yet, but I have viewed album art, and by the brightness and colourfullness (is that a word?) of the screen, pictures should look fine.

I really do recommend this iPod. Might not be great if you already own one, but great if you've never had one before (like myself).

Nice review. My main question though, is did you install the software before plugging in your iPod? And was the battery fully charged before watching your movie that died after two minutes? Seems a bit wierd to me.

I hadn't installed the software no, but I had my brothers software installed, so I assumed it would just work.

The iPod came almost fully charged, watching the video didn't kill the battery, but I noticed the charge go down, it was nothing major like a total discharge. It was just me noticing that watching a video takes up more battery power, I don't think I made that clear in the review.

Unfortunately for me now, I have to box it back up and wait for Christmas :(.