NEurope
KingOfHyrule

USB driver blues in Windows XP

I can't get my head around this one so decided to beg for help on the boards!

I've just bought a USB MIDI cable and want to set up my Yamaha MIDI keyboard to use with music programs in Windows XP, but I made the foolish choice of initially letting Windows install the device using its own shitty generic USB MIDI drivers, when really I should have researched and used Yamaha's own in the first place.

So at the minute, my music software doesn't see the USB MIDI device and I can't choose it, and Windows won't even let me update the drivers to use Yamaha's, telling me that it couldn't find a better setup even though I'm directly browsing the Yamaha driver folder.

What I need to be able to do is uninstall Windows' generic drivers and start from scratch, but everytime I uninstall the "USB Audio device" in Device Manager and re-connect, Windows automatically sets the same bastard thing up again! :wtf: Any ideas on how to prevent Windows from doing this? Thanks for the help!

Disconnect it, uninstall the audio device, install the Yamaha drivers, then connect it up.

How do I install the Yamaha drivers manually? There's no setup.exe file or anything in the driver download, just a few folders full of system files.

From Google:

"2. Don't have a setup or install file to install the drivers? Chances are that you have an "inf" file i.e. a file with the "inf" extension. Installation from an inf file is slightly different. It involves going into the control panel, choosing to add new hardware, NOT using the autodetect but choosing manual installation, and then using the "browse" button to direct the installation routine to the directory where you have the "inf" file."

Did it not come with any instructions? Or a 'Read Me' file?

If the above doesn't do the job then try right clicking on any inf files and choosing "install".

The cable came with absolutely nothing; after doing some Googling it seems that I'm not the only one having this problem. I finally managed to figure out how to reset things to start from scratch after some dodgy editing of the registry, but strangely Yamaha's installation instructions don't even work after this - tells me there's no fuckin .inf file lol I'm losing the will to live, never simple is it! :shakehead Thanks for the help anyway, I'll see if I can come up with a workaround...